Smithmoor Team Match

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Smithmoor Team Match

Post by jackrabbit »

Friends and Shooters, 7/25/2023

We held our 2nd Annual BPCR Team Match this past Saturday at Smithmoor West. We had good response last year and an even better attendance this year. I was quite pleased how it all turned out and hopefully it will become a July tradition.

Here’s how it worked; each “team” consists of one master or AAA class shooter and one AA or A class shooter. The team shot and spotted for each other and each other only. Their individual scores were then added together and awards giving accordingly. No awards or accolades were given for high individual scores. The only ones that mattered were their team totals. It makes for an interesting match. Some have commented that this is the way BPCR Silhouette really should have been set up from the start. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it is fun to do things a little differently once in a while. It is also a very good recruitment tool to bring a new shooter into the sport and a great opportunity for some newer shooters to get one on one time with a master class shooter.

We had very good conditions for the match. It got quite warm with temps into the mid 90’s and as usual the mirage was a challenge, but the winds stayed calm and readable. Also as usual, we all ate quite well as Dad and Momma Lorraine fixed us up a grand meal. Beef short ribs were the main course with pepe sale, cowboy bean salad, and rolls on the side. Apple crisp and birthday cake with homemade ice cream were up for dessert. Grace whipped a special birthday cake for Michael Rix and we enjoyed singing happy birthday to one of our favorite rifleman. It was pretty fun and even Michael seemed to enjoy it.

We had some nice prizes for last years match, and we had even better ones this year. Pine Bluffs Auto Parts and Hardware helped us out with some super awards. The champion team members each received a Milwaukee tool kit with two tools, two batters, a charger and a carrying bag! Wow! They were nice. What red blooded American wouldn’t love to win some super Milwaukee Tools? By the way, somebody told me Milwaukee is actually an old Cherokee Indian word that means freaking expensive. I don’t know if that’s true, but it could be. Pine Bluffs Auto Parts also helped us out with two Gear Wrench socket sets for the second place team and a neat adapter that allows you to run smaller demand 110 volt items with a Milwaukee rechargeable battery. It went to the high chicken shooter of the day. A giant thank you goes out to Pine Bluffs Auto Parts! Please keep them in mind if you need anything they might have. They have a full selection of tools and hardware, Bad Boy Mowers, as well as nearly anything you might need to repair vehicles, trucks, tractors, and you name it. They are a great outfit and were are very lucky to have them be part of our community.

Third place bronze champion went to Katy Stephenson and Michael Jackson this year. They shot a combined total of 46, which was a tie but they came out ahead by having a higher chicken count. Second place silver champion, taking home the Gear Wrench socket sets were Dan Womer and Ed Himelhoch. They actually shot a combined score of 53, but Ed recently made AAA and Mark has been AAA for some time. They couldn’t find other partners and wanted me to let them shoot together. I finally gave in under the condition that they would have to have a handicap given to them. After much deliberation, 5 was determined to be a fair number before the match started. Their score with the handicap was a 48. Good shooting fellas. Next year you need to find a couple of AA/A shooters. This year’s champion team was Grizz Stephenson and Dan Womer! They shot an excellent combined score of 49! They seemed quite pleased with winning their Milwaukee tools and Dan took home the Milwaukee voltage converter for having the high chicken score of the day with a 4! Great job Team!

The other tradition we started last year was having a Calcutta before the match. We go through and auction each team off, then after the match we divide the total pot up based on how the teams ended up placing. We ended up having a total pot of $300. Grizz bought the winning team of Grizz and Dan Womer and received half of the pot at $150. Second place received ¼ of the pot ($75)and Ed Himelhoch bought the second place team of Ed and Mark Pachares. The reaming $75 went into the Smithmoor Range Improvement fund. Thank you guys for playing, I thought it was fun and puts a little different twist on the goings on at the match.

We’ve got our week long southeast Wyoming shooting extraganza coming up this second week in August. Dick Hennebry is hosting his 22 BPCR National Mid Range Championship in Cheyenne on Tuesday and a warm up 22 silhouette match on Monday. There is a monthly big bore silhouette match at Watkins on Saturday, August 5th, and then later in the week there will be Historic Target Match, the Smithmoor Cup, and Rocky Mountain Regional matches at Smithmoor. Wow! Lots of shooting, lots of folks coming in from all over, and we are going to have lots of fun. We better get to work…..

Take care my friends,
Cody and the crew and Smithmoor

Chicken Pig Turkey Ram Total Team Total

Dick Hennebry 3 8 4 6 21 40
Doc Bement 2 7 6 4 19

Michael Rix 3 10 8 5 26 37
Gary Smith 0 4 5 2 11

Michael Jackson 2 9 10 7 28 46 3rd
Katy Stephenson 3 5 5 5 18

Cody Smith 3 10 8 5 26 46
Sir Billy 0 6 7 7 20

Ed Himelhoch 2 9 7 6 24 53-10 pt Handicap= 48 2nd
Mark Pachares 3 9 8 9 29

Steve Anderson 2 6 4 2 14 29
Greg Bybee 1 4 5 5 15

Grizz 0 9 4 6 19 49 MW
Dan Womer 4 10 8 8 30

Jack Odor 2 10 8 4 24 41
Phillip Dobkins 0 8 4 5 17
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Smithmoor Team Match

Post by JonnyV »

Good stuff!
SSShooter

Re: Smithmoor Team Match

Post by SSShooter »

Good way to make teams. Could be added to most any match.
Glenn