Ruger #1 45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

omgb

Ruger #1 45-70

Post by omgb »

Back in April, I bought a custom Ruger #1 in 45-70. It has a heavy 30" octagon barrel, a 6X Malcolm scope and adjustable mounts. The wood is presentation grade. Evidently, someone also did a trigger job because this is the best Ruger trigger, I have ever used. Light, crisp and zero creep or over travel.

I finally too it to the range awhile back and was very impressed. This is an MOA rifle. Groups at 100 yards using a 520 grain LBT bullet over 60 grains of Swiss 1.5 easily grouped an inch with just a dry wipe between shots.

Using BH 209 and the 405 Lee hollow base gave about 2" at 100 yards but I never wiped and put 20 rounds down range with zero trouble.

I cannot compete with the Ruger in matches, but for just plain fun, this is an extraordinary rifle.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.
desert deuce

Re: Ruger #1 45-70

Post by desert deuce »

OMGB WROTE: "I cannot compete with the Ruger in matches, but for just plain fun, this is an extraordinary rifle."

Southern California is not very far from Phoenix, Arizona, and you may certainly bring that #1 Ruger to Ben Avery in late January early February 2024 and shoot away at targets from 500-1,000 yards for Seven (7) consecutive days using cast or swaged lead alloy bullets with black powder and/or pyrodex at the biggest long range black powder target rifle event on planet earth, The Desert International.

Your rifle is up to the challenge. Are you?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

omgb wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:38 pm Back in April, I bought a custom Ruger #1 in 45-70. It has a heavy 30" octagon barrel, a 6X Malcolm scope and adjustable mounts.
I cannot compete with the Ruger in matches, but for just plain fun, this is an extraordinary rifle.
Not a legal NRA BPCR rifle (stupid rule), but definitely a legal BPTR rifle. Am thinking that most BPCR matches would allow you to shoot (I certainly would) as long as you loaded it with BP. NRA might not give you any awards, but am guessing most match directors would allow you to do so. After all, the Farquharson action dates from 1872 (older than the 1874, 1877, 1879 & 1885 and 1906 based actions so many of us shoot).
Glenn
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

You are welcome to shoot it here at Smithmoor as we don't give a hoot what the NRA thinks.

SSShooter, yes it is amazing how hold such an advanced design the Farquarson is and it is indeed older than the 1877, 1879, 1885, and 1906 actions you reference. It is not, however, older than the 1874 Sharps. As you probably know, but just temporarily forgot, for whatever crazy reason the title 1874 was given to the action some years after it was introduced. Without looking it up, according to my memory, it actually came about in 1871 and only had some small changes over the previous version that came out in 1869, which of course was the direct descendent of designs that date back to the 1840's.

Not to start a debate, but I have always maintained that the reason the Farquarson, Ruger #1, Borcardt, and whatever other hammerless actions were left out of being legal for the NRA matches is the founders of BPCR silhouette were trying to invent a game that severely limited the "arms race." Many rifle competitions start out good, but quickly erode into a contest of who has the best equipment. Not allowing hammerless actions was an attempt to keep everyone on a level playing field. An analysis of the sport close to 40 years later shows they did a pretty darn good job.
Cody
omgb

Post by omgb »

I have no problem with my rifle being banned for certain competitions, really, none at all. I also have a Sharps and a Trapdoor. Of the three, this Ruger has caught my fancy……for now😀. I just wanted to share how much fun I was having with this gun.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

FYI Reese, the sole purpose of the Desert International is to produce a highest quality Black Powder Target Rifle Event that is fun and meaningful for the shooters to participate in. Definitely an event put on for shooters by shooters. Nowhere on earth do you get more bang for your buck.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

The Ruger Number 1 is a fun rifle. I took one in trade last year to join my Trapdoor. Was very efficient at removing parried dogs in Nebraska.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Cody is onto it.

"RE. origins of some of the NRA silhouette rules, from the Fall 1999, Issue 27, The Black Powder Cartridge News:

“ 'a limited equipment” sport…

“ 'Thanks Al and Doc for BPCR by Bill Pace

“ 'When Carlsen and I conceived of BPCRS, we thought in terms of a very simple game without a lot of gadgetry, especially one that would avoid the usual equipment race you see in so many other shooting competitions. You know just basically a rifle – a Sharps or a Rolling Block – and the stuff a Buffalo Hunter would have had.

“ 'Al Hill, NRA Silhouette Committee member and one of the co-founders of BPCRS, was speaking to another shooter at the 1996 NRA BPCRS Championship. I listened as Al talked about their early shooting experiments, how they arrived at the n models allowed and dimensions, etc. This was my first national BPCRS match at Raton and over the next three days I had an opportunity to consider and remember Al’s comments.'

"The rest of the article is a tongue in cheek discussion of what equipment/gadgets are needed."
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
omgb

Post by omgb »

I am more surprised every day. This is one, exceedingly fine firearm. That action locks up like a bank vault and the trigger is so fine, Ive never had a set trigger that nice. It reminds me of a high standard target .22 I once shot.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

Personally my hat's off to those guys who came up with the rules. They were extremely well thought out and really place everyone on an equal playing field. Not only does the sport test the skill of the shooter, it also tests the skill of the spotter and ties the shooter/spotter into a fun, trusting partnership.

Furthermore, with the restriction to black powder and cast bullets, no gas checks, it places the shooter in a position of only being able to develop and build the same type load as his/her fellow competitor. Each participant has the same/equal opportunity to shoot the optimum load, for their gun, using the same limited components as everyone else. In the end, it tests the loading patience & the shooting skill of the individual plus, the intimate working relationship of the spotter/shooter team.

And the ultimate reward is to see and hear the animal you hit, fly off the rail, with the spotters self satisfaction that he/she helped guide the way. What a fantastic game this BPCRS is.
omgb

Post by omgb »

I agree, I wouldn’t change the rules.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow