Lint? in Hadley Eye Disk

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Boston Bill

Lint? in Hadley Eye Disk

Post by Boston Bill »

So I have some kind of obstruction in my Hadley. Looks like lint? Anyway it obstructs the hole and really hard to see the target.
I have used compressed air and in the larger holes I used a number 1 drill bit.
Still there.
Anyone have any ideas or have come across this situation?
Oddly enough my single hole disk has the same thing and I have used compressed air and a drill bit in that one and still has some kind of obstruction.
Pretty frustrating, not able to shoot it. 30" 45-70 1874 Sharps.
Thanks all
Happy Shooting!!! :D
beltfed

Re: Lint? in Hadley Eye Disk

Post by beltfed »

You are likely having an Optical abheration that causes a seeming particle/dot in the aperture.
Try opening the Hadley to larger and larger aperture size and at some point, the particle
should disappear
beltfed/arnie
ShermanCoShooter

Post by ShermanCoShooter »

You might check your rear sight to see if it is perfectly vertical
Y6

Post by Y6 »

When I experienced lint in my eyecup it turned out to be the beginning of cataracts. At age 54 I was surprised.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Agree on vertical. Look through the sight and move it back and forth. I'm betting at a certain point fuzzy will go away.
1minute

Post by 1minute »

[quote=Y6 post_id=342565 time=1690946945 user_id=1538]
When I experienced lint in my eyecup it turned out to be the beginning of cataracts. At age 54 I was surprised.
[/quote]

I had precisely the same experience but at about age 74. After surgery, the lint has disappeared.
1Minute
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Yes, cataracts here too. If you have another rifle with a tang sight see if it has "lint" in it too. I was getting it in all my rifles and open sights were completely unusable. Over the course of several years I had my eyes checked, but none of the eye doctors(?) caught it. Finally one did. Got "replacement" lenses in my eyeballs about 4 or 5 years back. No more lint in the eyepiece and I can shoot very well with open sights too. The average run of the mill opthamalist doesn't seem to catch these problems though.

George
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Just has cataract surgery a few weeks ago at age 80 and the lint is gone in the tang sight. Also the iron sights work again!!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I have a strange phenomenon in my rear aperture that I'm sure is my eyes. I see a black pie wedge shape at around 10 o'clock that goes almost to the center of the aperture. The larger the hole in the aperture, the further from center it is. On my Hadley disc, the largest hole makes it retract about halfway to the edge of the opening.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

And here I thought I was the only one.
I have a dogs ball hanging down from 12 o clock. No matter where you rotate its still there. My eye doctor cant see it. I had to go to scope.
maybe I better see a different eye doctor.
Keith
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

I have to chime in on ensuring the mast is 90 degrees to your eye when shouldering the rifle. I learned this the hard way sighting the gun for a match and then having to do it again after being enlightened by another shooter !
Steve Sudbeck

Post by Steve Sudbeck »

Cataracts - the “lint” is the optical concentration of the lens cell accumulation/ compression which has the appearance of a tiny spider web - easily corrected by computer assisted lens surgery.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

It's in your eyes. I used to see what looked like spider webs and then the spider moved in with a big dark spot. I saw my eye Dr. and have a cataract surgery evaluation appt on Sept 19. I have not shot iron sight for 2 years and just shot irons at the nat'ls in Friendship. I had to go to a large front aperture and a large rear aperture to make out the targets. I could not center the target in the rear aperture because of the dark spot in there. After the 1st day I was in last place in Master class. I did not shoot the 2nd day. It was just a waste of ammo.

Macular degeneration can cause vision problems also. See an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist for your vision evaluation.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Like a few others said, straighten your sight
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

The very first thing I would try is the suggestion of shouldering your gun and moving the rear sight back and forth and I would use a medium sized hole to view through.

This is like troubleshooting a light that does not come on: IE: Do you replace the bulb first (adjusting site staff position/angle) or do you go to the store, buy a new switch and replace it first (cataract surgery)?

For me, I'll try adjusting the staff position first. *laughing*