barrel length

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

vikingsword

barrel length

Post by vikingsword »

Is a 30 inch barrel on the short side for a 45-100 or 45-110 using Swiss 1.5?
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: barrel length

Post by JonnyV »

Short answer, no. The only reason for a longer barrel running BP is to get the longer sight radius. You will not gain any velocity like you can with the slower burning smokeless rifle powders.

A shorter barrel can make your rifle easier to handle, particularly in off-hand shooting.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Got to agree with JohnnyV this time. Anything longer is pissing down your leg and telling yourself it's raining. Way I see it. Longer sight radius is the only benefit. Bobw
bobw
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

On the other side since I like the balance of a 28" barrel what is the loss from a 30", if any, in the smaller cartridges (xx-50 to xx-70 BN or SS)? The nice part of a Shiloh order is that a 28" or 30" change is still in the same production run.

Thank you,
Charles
bobw

Post by bobw »

Some aren't aware of it or don"t care about it but with a 30-32" barrel your sight radius with a normal frt sight mounted in the std dovetail utilizing a tang rear gives you a 1 moa change for each point on the staff (.01"). Shorter barrel length increases that and longer decreases the change per point in moa. If you work off ballistic drop tables with a 30" you don't even need to use a calculator simple add and subtract. My 2 cts worth on keeping it simple. Bobw
bobw
vikingsword

Post by vikingsword »

Thank you gentlemen, I guess my train of thought on this was a little off skew in thinking that because these larger calibers burn more powder, that they would actually need, or benefit, from a longer barrel.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

The longer the barrel the larger diameter aperture you need in the front sight.

Most of the Sharps inserts available are too small a diameter for a 34 inch barrel (unless shooting long distances when the target appears smaller).

A target should never fill more than 2/3 of the aperture in order for your eye to center it and actually your eye will center it better if it only fills 1/3 of the aperture.

A longer barrel does give you a better sight radius but to do so requires also using a larger diameter front aperture.

A 30" barrel can use existing apertures available but for longer barrels I have had to drill larger holes in them.

Also longer barrels tend to foul easier on the end.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I like the way a long barrel sits shooting prone on the cross sticks. It just feels nice and steady to me with more weight hanging in front. But I can't use anything past 30" for offhand.

Chris.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

bobw wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:46 am Some aren't aware of it or don"t care about it but with a 30-32" barrel your sight radius with a normal frt sight mounted in the std dovetail utilizing a tang rear gives you a 1 moa change for each point on the staff (.01"). Shorter barrel length increases that and longer decreases the change per point in moa. If you work off ballistic drop tables with a 30" you don't even need to use a calculator simple add and subtract. My 2 cts worth on keeping it simple. Bobw

Yup, longer barrel equals more clicks needed to get the same sight adjustment as the guy next to you with the 32" barrel. For me personally, I like the 32" length in a standard weight the best. I have a fat barrel rifle and the nose heavy aspect doesn't do anything to help steady it for off-hand. Your mileage may vary.... If possible, handle a couple rifles to get a feel before your order. Make your own decision.