Cleaning brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Randy Bohannon

Re: Cleaning brass

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Six hours is way to long for wet tumbling never experienced peening I only tumble for less than two hours
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

I couldn't agree with you more...This was an experiment to see what media would clean these up satisfactorily [particularly the primer pockets]...I will next time around follow your advice and monitor how long it takes for them to come clean.... I will also do as you have suggested and give the pockets a slight scrape prior to tumbling. Thanks for the insight....
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I have noticed that some cases clean better,and some powders are not as hard to remove, and some primers leave tougher residue than others.
Sayin this if you are experimenting with different components you may have varying results if you are shooting for new looking.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

Bright and shiny is always nice but I really don't care all that much as long as they are clean....I will keep an eye on primer residue as I am now going to be down to using UNIS/CAMPRO Bosnia made primers....but in hindsight I am thinking my neglecting to give the primer pockets a little scrape to get the heavier scale out is likely a major factor.....I will say that I had let some hard black residue collect inside some cases [didn't pick up on it till I was dropping powder] which the ceramics seemed to clean out very nicely....
Muleskinner

Post by Muleskinner »

Randy Bohannon wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:34 am Yes I see that now and added it to my cart until the shipping cost :o $38.58 for a qt. to ship 250 miles. I can do the B/A for significantly less with the same results,clean brass inside and out. Appears to be the same stuff.
I was going to order Orville's book until they added $13.00 for shipping something that should go in a large envelope and ship media mail for a couple of bucks. No thanks
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Muleskinner, check your PM.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

This really isn't complicated:
TOOLS:
Lyman/RCBS or any other brand shaker / vibratory cleaner. Harbor Freight rock tumblers work well.
Ceramic media - I use the original David M. - yes I bought and have used same for 20 years.
Shooters II - Cleaner, originally sold by David M, now sold by Greg Vest in MI.
Dawn dish detergent - Yes the blue stuff sold in grocery stores.
Plastic jug - I use "Simply Leomonade" or quart OJ cartons.
Plastic Strainer - holes/slots small enough so ceramic media will not fall out.
De-capper
PROCEEDURE:
Before going to range; put a few drops of dawn into plastic jug and fill 3/4 with water.
After shooting relay, de-prime brass and place brass in plastic jug.
After match, shake jug and go home, let brass set in jug overnight.
Next day, cut top off plastic jug and dump brass into strainer.
Rinse Brass with cold water.
Fill shaker 1/3 high with ceramic media.
Place 2 cap full's of Shooters II into media.
Add 40-45 of the de-primed brass cases to media.
Add water until about 1/8" from below the bottom of the top threaded hold down rod.
Place top on shaker, plug in and turn on for 3-4 hours.
Turn shaker off and pour water, media, brass into strainer.
Rinse brass and media throughly.
Remove brass from media and hang brass in drying rack or spread out on towel to dry.
Brass internal & external will be as clean as new.
After drying, your ready to anneal.

This brass cleaning is not hard at all.