Steve Garby article

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

arnie

Steve Garby article

Post by arnie »

Someone said Steve wrote an extensive test article on 22rf ammo. Was it in Balck Powder Cartridge news? What issue?
desert deuce

Re: Steve Garby article

Post by desert deuce »

Arnie, you do realize that you dimed yourself out by essentially admitting that you do not subscribe to the Black Powder Cartridge News?

What happened? Did you switch over to pickle ball or shuffleboard? Maybe you heard about the articles while playing Canasta at the Senior Center?

To take a small form of literary license from earlier posts there approaches a plethora of .22 match ammo out there for the dedicated .22 silhouette aficionado to burn virtually unlimited amounts of green backs on.

BUT, Arnie, just like other ammunition it seems that what one rifle shoots with aplomb another seems unable to find any intended target.

For instance, on page 47 BPCN #121 is listed Norma TAC 22 and a reasonable looking target. When I tried Norma TAC in my rifle at 200 yards. Ten shots on paper, bench rest with rear bag and scope I got three feet of vertical. The next ten shots of Ely Club grouped under two inches for ten shots. This followed by ten shots of Norma .22 Match that grouped about 3 inches at 200 yards.

Moreover, on page 48 BPCN #122 is a follow up on some results with .22 ammo on targets.

BUT, if you took the BPCN or subscribed on line you would already know about these two articles and so much more.

Plus, you would not be seeing this post on forum. :mrgreen:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

One could have a great day of fishing with that can of worms.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I read the one article but need to go and look up the second one you mentioned. While I did like the information Steve put forth, there were some things I had a bit of an issue with. A 40X Remington with a 20X scope sure is an excellent test bed for rim fire ammo, but not a competitive rifle for the rim fire silhouette's . A CPA, or high/low wall would have been a bit better test bed with a top quality barrel.
There are gobs and bunches of different RF ammo out there, lots of it will not be competitive but some of it will be. While most will shoot well with the top shelf ammo, there are some lower price stuff that can still be competitive without breaking the bank. Personally my .22 rf has really surprised me. A small Martini action, Shaw barrel, who knows what reamer it was chambered with as the person that put it together for me has long since passed away. Out to 150 yards or so, it will shoot surprisingly well. 10X scope and groups under 2" were very easy and under an inch at 100 with 2 of the lesser expensive Eley brands. SK pistol special match shot almost as well at about 1/2 of the cost. The last I shot it on paper, I was using a 6X lyman jts scope and at 200 yards the wheels kind of fell off but part of that I blame on not having a finite aiming point. I was shooting at a drawing of the Ram target and I should have put an aiming spot on it, that might have helped a bit.
Down side is from what I have seen lately, the SK stuff is all but unavailable. The big thing is to try anything you can get your hands on to see what your barrel likes and what it doesn't. Hopefully what it likes you will be able to stock up on with out having to take out a second mortgage.
Sam
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You are so right SEMTAV, So? Are you volunteering to step right up and perform target duty. April 17 th is long gone, in case your forgot. :shock:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Something I have noticed, call it a casual observation, the CPA Stevens' scoped in particular and same platforms but fewer in numbers Iron sighted seem to be doing quite well with various iterations of .22 LR ammo. I suspect though that the barrel has more to do with accuracy than the platform.

With the growth of the sport, and possession of a suitable rifle machine rest, investigating different ammunition in different barrels might be of value?

With that said, in my rifles using that particular rifle's preferred ammunition does make a definite difference in score for the lay down targets.

It may be that the service Lapua in Phoenix offers could benefit the serious competitor and be cost effective over the course of several seasons.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:22 am You are so right SEMTAV, So? Are you volunteering to step right up and perform target duty. April 17 th is long gone, in case your forgot. :shock:
I'm thinking it would take about 30 different 22 rifles to get a clear best avg load.
So if you want to start sending me rifles, I'd probably feel obliged to do it.

Course since I haven't shot a rifle in 3 months they may start out looking like your Norma Tac loads.

Maybe you better send me a pallet of each load to be sure I get the rust out.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You in to the paraquat again?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

SEMTAV, tell me you are not into Nichino America's ET combo defoliant herbicide mix, or is that the problem?
If so did you read the labeling? It may not be too late.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:54 am SEMTAV, tell me you are not into Nichino America's ET combo defoliant herbicide mix, or is that the problem?
If so did you read the labeling? It may not be too late.
What the hell is Nichino America's ET combo defoliant herbicide mix??
Paraquat works just fine.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Btw,

It’s spelled Garbe.

Kenny Wasserburger

I hate it when folks butcher my name adding n’s an extra e’s.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter