Alberta Schuetzen Lube

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SchuetzenDave

Alberta Schuetzen Lube

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Charlie Dell for many years tested recipes for bullet lube.
Ralph McDonald further developed one of Charlie's best recipes to improve the the lube to work at all extremes of weather since we would shoot Shuetzen competitions at -40 F.

Bullet lubes are made of ingredients that improve lubricity, that have the right flow viscosity, have components to improve stickiness hold onto the bullet and to coat the barrel, plus items that improve cleaning of fouling with a need that it holds onto the bullet and coats the barrel bore.

Alberta Schuetzen Lube was designed to change the viscosity so it could be used at extreme low temperatures which then caused problems for the lube sloughing off at higher temperatures.

This was compensated by adding stickiness ingredients like lanolin, rosin, and waxes other than beeswax so the lube could be used at higher temperatures when shooting at Raton, NM.

We also converted Charlie's hard emulsifier to a soft emulsifier so ingredients would not fall out of suspension when melted for pan lubing.
This also assisted with reducing BP fouling (instead of relying on the lube to develop saponification capabilities during firing).

Ralph went further to add metal conditioners to reduce the ability of lead to adhere to the barrel.

Many shooters developing their own lubes think you just add all of the specific ingredients to their lube.

Unfortunately the correct mixes of fats, oils and waxes have to be of specific proportions to obtain the correct viscosity for your lube to work at lower temperatures but then you need to also improve it's stickiness while ensuring you have the correct emulsifier for adequate cleaning of fouling while improving the metal surface of your barrel to prevent leading.
gunlaker

Re: Alberta Schuetzen Lube

Post by gunlaker »

It is good stuff. Are you still making it?

Chris.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Since I can no longer shoot and deliver it at competitions I have discontinued making it and no one else from the Alberta Schuetzen Guild is making Alberta Schuetzen Lube.

People willing to present me their e-mail and contact information may receive a copy of the recipe.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I appreciate your favorable opinion of Alberta Schuetzen Lube Chris.

John Linebaugh (former manufacturer of powerful sixguns) wrote me:

" Alberta Schuetzen Lube cleaned up a couple of my worst offending sixguns"

In a telephone conversation he said he never used any other bullet lube that could handle the heavy leading in his high power revolvers which Alberta Schuetzen Lube was capable of doing.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I've seen your posts on this lube going back many years. Never seen one that contradicted what you are saying. That's very helpful Dave, thanks! PM inbound.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Dave,

Pm se t. Please disregard that !$# spellchecker...
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I have had bullets lubed with Alberta Schuetzen Lube sit for five years without causing contamination or degradation of the lead bullet that occurs if you do that with White Lightning Lube.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Dave, so good to know you're still out there. I still look for you and your camper at Two Hills even though I know you won't be back. Miss you.

A while back you shared the recipe with me and when I got to it I found a couple problems that time has created. I don't know what year the formula was created but since then toilet rings and Crisco have undergone a number of changes. Crisco is now:

"Soybean Oil, Fully Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Palm Oil, Mono And Diglycerides, TBHQ And Citric Acid (Antioxidants)."

A search for the old type of waxy/sticky toilet was also unsuccessful.

Any suggestions?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Paul in 2007 the Crisco vegetable shortening had the trans fats replaced with hydrogenated fat.
In terms of properties for bullet lube it made no difference and yes do use the new Crisco vegetable shortening.
Yes the new stuff still makes excellent Alberta Schuetzen Lube.

I buy toilet ring seals at Canadian Tire.
Takes 3 small rings or 1 1/2 large rings to make a batch.
As long as there are toilets there are toilet ring seals available.

Say HI to your SPOTTER for me and everyone else at the next BPCR Silhouette shoot.
I have a second pacemaker and the disconnected atrial lead has also been replaced.
This was followed by my third cardioversion which eliminated both the atrial flutter and a-fib.
I have not had a cardiac arrest for 9 months now.
Improved heart output so not accumulating water on the lungs.
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I also pre-foul my clean barrel before shooting the first shot.

I mix canola oil to thin some Alberta Schuetzen Lube to coat a patch to wipe my clean barrel to foul it.

People fail to realize leading of the barrel starts with your first shot before the first bullet coats the bore with lube.

Pre-fouling the barrel by lubing it before the first shot helps to stop the first bit of lead attaching to the barrel.

It also means when you first shoot from a clean barrel, the shot will be closer to your POA and you will be more comfortable in making sight adjustments after your first shot.