Cartridge case management

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TAA

Cartridge case management

Post by TAA »

I guess I’m easily confused and a slow learner. My rifle is a CSA Model 74 chambered in 40 cal. 2 ½ (40-70 SS), with Hoke/Baldwin sights. I’ve been shooting it since 2009. I use Hornady 405 Winch cases. Inserting one into the chamber, it protrudes 0.075”. In virgin form the case is 2.575” long. So all of my cases have been trimmed to 2.500” long. My current batch of (150) cases have been fired quite a few times since 2009, approximately (19) times each.

Last Monday (21st) I had to “tap” the loads in, leading me to learn that maybe I should full length size the cases, which I’ve never done until now. I tried an empty case at home and it needed to be coaxed into the chamber. So I full length sized a few and they went right into the chamber. I neglected to measure the length.

Was out shooting yesterday @ 200 yards and every round (all were FL sized) had to be “tapped” in with a 3/8” dowel and plastic hammer, into the chamber. But they shot good (for me). Returning home, the cases mouths looked a little beat-up, leading me to think that the cases are a bit too long. So I measured a few of them….ranging between 2.510 to 2.530” long. This must be the result of reshaping of the case during full length sizing, causing the case to “grow” in length. Checking a FL sized case it is 2.525” long.

Usually I just insert the bullet into case with my fingers, stopping on top of the poly wad, and applying the light crimp. For the loads used yesterday, after FL sizing, I had to use a bullet seating die to seat the bullet, the ID of the case was smaller, due to the FL sizing.

My dilemma….trim the FL sized case just enough to allow it to chamber but if I do, once the case “settles down” and I’m no longer FL sizing, it might “shrink” down to a length shorter than the earlier 2.500”. But….maybe time to retire the old cases. I have (150) new unfired cases, still in the Hornady boxes.

The load? Paul Jones money type greaser, 416-grains, 68.0 grains of OE 1 ½, FC 150 primer, (2) poly wads, wax paper disc in bottom of the case before powder is introduced, a very light Lee Factory Crimp, approx. 1,323 fps.

I’m done shooting this rifle for the year and fall is when I tumble, trim and anneal cases. So I’m guessing for this cycle, FL size, trim (to what length?) tumble and anneal.

I shot this target @200-yards off the bench (if the photo sticks). 6 hits out of 10 are pretty good for these 76-year old eyes.

Thanks for any advice!

Tom

blob:null/7141a040-6df1-4b04-a587-03a22f5b77a4
bobw

Re: Cartridge case management

Post by bobw »

Well considering that 405 Hornady cases are far and few between I would not retire them until they fail. Depending how they fail I would just keep checking them. Something like case head separation is easy to check for. I shoot my bp rounds fire formed and annealed when needed. More than a few lots have been shot way more than 20 times and still work fine. It's the full length resizing that takes its toll on case life. Just my 2 cents worth. Bobw
bobw
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I think your cases had stretched enough to be too long, that was causing the problem to start with. Then if you size it, now it will be even longer. Take the cases you have fired and see if they will chamber without a bullet.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Coltsmoke,
Maybe my post was a bit confusing, sorry.
I FL sized only a few cases. Using your suggestion, I tried a few cases (not FL sized) that would be the next ones to load if I was to continue shooting this season. With no bullet in the case, they only go so far in and then I need to coax them the rest of the way in. These cases are 2.500” (+/- slightly) length. You can see the case body, just above the rim looking like it is “tight” as it stops, while entering the chamber. Smear a bit of case lube on it and it goes in easier. It would be interesting to get a die that just works the lower inch or so of the case body.

As a side note, one minor change to the front sight was made for the shooting on Tuesday. I used my smallest aperture, one size smaller than I had been using. I speculated that the larger aperture allowed me to show more room around the turkey, contributing to too many wide misses. The paper target is an NRA turkey that is set at 200-yards. The intent is to replicate what you would see, looking through your sights, of a 385-meter silhouette target. What I see is a small black dot. It takes a lot of concentration!

Tom
semtav

Post by semtav »

I had that happen with my 45-90. Cases started getting tight at the bottom. I finally had to start over and resize them all once. If you could find a die with the proper dimension at the base, you could cut the top half off and only resize the base.
TAA

Post by TAA »

That’s a good suggestion, thanks!

I’m going to look into that possibility.

Tom
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

measure up the case so you starting point as to where to cut out a die, you can then get a ebay special FL die and ream out past that depth to eliminate the sizing of the rest of the brass. A boring bar on a lathe should work too. Suppose you could always just cut off what you dont need too, thread it in and size away.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I have made a dozn cut off dies to only resze the head. It does make a difference. As to length measure your
Chamber and trim a cople tho short. The 40-2.5 st. does stretch when firng pretty regular.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
TAA

Post by TAA »

I’m not a “machinist”. My idea of cutting off a die is a vice and hacksaw….are you cringing yet? A good friend does gun work and of course has a lathe. Makes me wonder….would mounting the die body in the lathe and use a drill bit just ever so slightly smaller than the diameter of the lower area (head of the case) get a similar result? Remove the upper body die sizing material leaving just the lower area of the die intact. Are dies made of hardened steel? Warned you….cringe!

Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Tom,

Sizing dies are usually made of hardened steel. A hack saw or drill bit isn't going to cut it (pun intended).

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Have you tried machinist dye, or a black felt pen to coat the cases and then chamber them to see where the interference is? I do this anytime I have chambering issues with a case, and coloring the whole case with a black felt marker will tell you a lot about where the issues are, and then decide how to address it.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Mman,

That is something I’ll try next. Thanks!

Tom