44/77 brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcrshooter62

44/77 brass

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI all does anyone know where i can get 44/77 brass for a shiloh -rifle ? thanks :D :D
steveu834

Re: 44/77 brass

Post by steveu834 »

Bertram has 43 Spanish brass in stock.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Another of lifes great mysteries :( . As of this writing, I believe you would best be served by placing an order through BACo. for some of their 44/77 'Shiloh' cases. Currently on backorder. In past years they were made up from 348W cases but the last few years they have been based on 50/110 Starline cases and have worked well. Jamison/ Captech were the 'go to' producer for a few years but have gone under. Whether we ever see that gear put to good use again is a question I believe unanswered. Captech 'JBA' brass surfaced on the second hand market for a while but they tend to be snapped up pretty fast when they do. A very good, though more expensive option would be through RMC ( Rocky Mountain Cartridges ). They do 'turned' brass cases and furnish a top quality product. They got me going a few years back when there was nothing available and have the Shiloh chambering down pat. Rim thickness , neck thickness etc. You can adjust these too in the order if it comes to that. That is for pp or gg if that's your desire. I havent used 43 Spanish though I believe it will work. Unfortunately a few have had bad experiences with Bertram in years past though I havent had any problems with their brass ( 45/75, 45/110, 40/70 st) in the last ten years. There are probably enough 44/77 shooters now to justify Bertram tooling up for a run of several thousand but I'm not about to order that many myself. :shock: to get it over the line. Buffalo Arms will no doubt be as dependent on Starline brass availability as anyone else but is likely to be sooner than 'not at all'. That's not much help I know but where it is for me currently. RMC is very good though slightly down on capacity to the extruded cases ( not by much ). The BACo converted cases also work fine , though you may need to buff a rim or run them through a sizer for their first firing and keep an eye on neck thickness vs bullet diameter for gg bullets. hth.
regards.. Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had better luck finding old .43 Mauser brass at local gun shows, and it doesn't take much reworking to make it fit my two rifles in .44-77 chamberings. The rims are a bit smaller on the .43 Mauser brass, but still no issues with extractors working great on them. If I could find either Spanish or Mauser brass or ammo I'll buy either to make my .44-77 from.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Marlinman , did you ever have head solits with the mauser stuff. I had a couple boxes of CIL that the heads all split. They were old factory and looked to be in good shape.
Very brittle im guessing.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You can trim 45-90 bras to 2.3 load and fireform then trim to length and just let it headspace on the shoulder after that
The extractor will barely catch
Not the best thing in the world to do but it will get you up and running until BACO gets you back order filled
The RMC option is good for enough to get you hunting and plinking. Nice part of that is Kody shoots a Shiloh 44-77 so you can be sure the brass is right when you get it
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I will second Don's recommendation of the 45-90 brass. Easy to neck down with either a FL die or a bushing die. i wasn't sure it would work and I didn't have any -90 brass but did try it with a -70 case and other than having a really short neck it did blow out nicely. Yea it looks a little funky but will work. If extraction is a problem, just get a 45-70 extractor and drop it in. If it rubs on the case body a bit a little light work with a file will solve the problem.
Sam
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

powderburner wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:35 am Marlinman , did you ever have head solits with the mauser stuff. I had a couple boxes of CIL that the heads all split. They were old factory and looked to be in good shape.
Very brittle im guessing.
No, I've never lost a case to any sort of splitting in the head, neck, or body of my brass. Almost all of my surplus brass was purchased as loaded ammo that I pulled bullets from, and made fit my Remingtons. I have had a fair amount that had those stepped rims that were too thick. I simply chucked them in my lathe and removed material from the base of the rims to thin them. Primer pockets were deep enough to allow the small amount of metal removed to let the breech block close and space correctly. Most of the headstamp was removed in the process of thinning them.
I have some modern Jamison brass that came with my original Creedmoor Rolling Block, but the rest is all surplus brass purchased over many years from gun shows, estate sales, etc.