Powder compression

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Powder compression

Post by desert deuce »

Just for you Smoke I loaded up some rounds using the same weighed amount of the same lot of powder (2F Swiss). Electronically trickled the charges through a 30 inch drop tube. I did not check the final column height. I did check the compression in one round of each compression lot.
One lot had .075 compression 8 FPS ES
The other lot had .160 compression 10 FPS ES

Of course grease groove BACO bullets with SPG Trop in a 44-90 RS. AVG Velocity 1300 FPS. BACO bore wipes.

NOTE: Perplexing when three shots in a row read the same velocity on the Oehler 33P. Took some getting used to. Even worse, after about the fourth or fifth shot one more or less has to assume that the rest of the shots went through that same ragged hole. Just have to learn to deal with it.

It seems that ammunition that maintains single digit extreme spreads make pretty little groups on the paper and usually shoot to call.
IF
, the nut behind the butt executes the fundamentals correctly.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Zack,
When using Swiss as you mentioned I load by the weight, and don’t much worry about the amount of compression, in 1.5 it does vary a good bit.

In FG Goex, and Express though things are a bit different. In the 110 I will preface. One particular lot gives the same volume as compared to another may vary as much as 111 grs versus 106. In both particular lots once .385 compression was reached the same MV and single digits SD. On my Oehler 35P.

Something called bulk density comes into play here I believe, the amount of ball milling of the components used to make up the powder will affect the density of the powder. And I submit that maybe of some consideration. The same weight should mean the same amount of fuel at least in theory. With Swiss I believe that is most likely the case.

I put this forth as in a past life I worked as a mine chemist, texting of various coal seams for BTU energy content using bomb calimetric testing. A Cubic foot of coal was weighed, using the same cubic foot of volume in various seams had considerable weight difference even though the exact same volume. The denser coal weighs more…. It also yielded more energy. :shock: this had to be accurate to the ninth degree as multi million dollar coal contracts were at stake here.

Goex obviously varies in bulk density as equal volumes vary in weight. But if compressed into the same amount no mater the weight it gives consistent #s.

Suffice to say in olde Eynsford 1.5 using the same weight also hasn’t worked as well as Swiss, but it’s very close. 2 previous cases 103 grs by weight were at 1406 fps, my more recent 2 cases I purchased just days after the factory blew requires 103.5 grs of powder. To achieve the same numbers. So it’s close.

So as Colt so succinctly put it, we don’t alway know what we don’t know. :wink:

Something for consideration, this was something Dan and I corresponded over in some depth.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing!
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Thanks Kenny, seems we have essentially arrived at the same place by different paths utilizing different artifacts from days gone by.

As an aside, I had located and was about to purchase two cases of 2F Goex Express when Goex announced they were discontinuing the product. Like you my big cases liked it.

Unfortunately, it has lately been a question of what is/was available rather than what is preferred as was the case with Express. But, we endeavor to persevere as we have no other choice.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

''Basic research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing!'
-- OPS

Not only true, but funny....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
TGC

Post by TGC »

Greetings all. When reading Kenny's coal testing, am I the only one who read that as "cartridge over all length"? Tim.