Telescope for spotting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

From Along The Trail

Telescope for spotting

Post by From Along The Trail »

I am curious if a Orion 80mm refractor telescope would work for 600 to 1000 yards. Or more.

I have no idea if this is worthwhile or will it not work.

Thanks in advance, Vern
steveu834

Re: Telescope for spotting

Post by steveu834 »

It might, but the quality of the lens is probably not up to the job. Also if you increase the magnification the brightness will decrease. My recommendation is to look at what everyone else is using. I still use my old Unertl MGFL 54mm 20x and can see hits on steel (white target) at 1000 if the mirage is not too bad.

Fwiw,
Steve
From Along The Trail

I have a 60mm spotting scope. It works to 300 yards. For now it is what I have.

I have been recovering from vision problems from 3 years ago. At one point I could not see a target at 100 yards through the normal sights we use.
I am now able to see a 12” white square on a dark brown, 6’ square target, at 1000 yards without glasses.

With this picture I figured out one of my problems. A 45 caliber bullet hole shot through tough paper , does not produce a 45 caliber hole. I have been using paper from the back of decals that get from Orielys auto parts. Nice and bright white. And strong.
download/file.php?id=5058 Apparently I cannot copy and paste on this forum.

This picture is on the subject, ice age Postal. I noticed his bullet holes are not full size holes, as in caliber dimensions. But much smaller in the actual hole.

I may need weaker paper. Thinking and looking for suggestions.
From Along The Trail

Nothing like figuring out your own question you asked.
On my tough paper the holes are small as in the previous picture I posted. But in this picture, the holes are clearly round. The difference is this target is cardboard.

I use the tough paper for 200 yards and under.

This picture is 300 yards. The next time at the range I want to calculate how to adjust my scope tube to shoot at 600 yards. By put the target bullseye at the bottom of the 6’ high target. Then work on adjustment for elevation.

From Along The Trail

The above target was the first time I got on paper at 300 yards. At the lower right. Then I adjusted for elevation and shot two more. Hit on the upper right edge. The next shot I aimed at the left edge. And hit near the center on the upper part of the target.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Buy one of the target camera offerings, no spotting scope will spot shots reliably over 300 yds, let alone 600-1000.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

If you're trying to spot shot holes in your target as you are shooting, one of these is the way to go...

https://www.longshotcameras.com

I have the LR-3 model. It has a two mile range and you control it with a Lenovo tablet as you shoot. You can mark each shot hole as you go, keeps you straight on what shot went where, plus you can take HD photos of your target to keep for reference and it will calculate your group size as well. It's a little spendy but the return on investment is well worth it.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The quality of a spotting scope has much more to do with how well you can see things than the magnification does. I can look through my old 20x or 45x Kowa scopes and see things far better than some of the less expensive 60x scopes friends are using. Most of them will look through my Kowa spotting scopes and comment how much clearer the Kowa is even with lower power.
I just purchased an old Swarovski in a room full of reloading equipment I bought, and it was made in the early 1990's. A 20x-60x, and just trying it out in my front yard it appears to maybe be a bit better than my old Kowa scopes. Wont get rid of the Kowas until I wring out the Swarovski at our 1000 yd. range, and am sure it's better!
From Along The Trail

Thanks for the response to my question.
Will just use what I have for now.
Painless

Post by Painless »

What I usually use (when self-spotting) is my KOWA spotting scope with a cell phone and a phone scope adapter.
[url][https://youtube.com/shorts/zxoGXMr1BtU? ... VFQEbH/url]

However, if you don't want to get up to check the cell after each shot. You can use a Longshot Hawk attached to the spotting
scope and view the shots in an app on your phone or ipad etc.
[url]https://youtube.com/shorts/btUTkr4fohI[/url]
Unus pulsus unus nex