Add on pistol grip

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LHines

Add on pistol grip

Post by LHines »

I want to install an add on pistol grip on my recently acquired #3 sporter. Can the trigger plate be drilled for the mounting screw with conventional bits or is it hardened steel?
Luke

Re: Add on pistol grip

Post by Luke »

Dixie Gun Works has an add on pistol grip for trapdoors that uses an extended wood screw through the existing lower tang hole. It works quite well on a Sharps, but will probably need some work to match the stock coloring.
Limber Up!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I was able to drill my plate with a quality split point non carbide drill, slow rpm and oil in drill press.
kw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'd call Shiloh and ask Kirk to do it. I have one of theirs on my silhouette rifle and it's excellent.

Chris.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I've added a couple of Ebony grips on Sharps and I get them from Tree Bone carving. Go to their site and scroll through the Sharps/Trapdoor section. You'll see a picture of one of my Sharps with the grip. They also have instructions on how to mount it if this helps.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
lrb

Post by lrb »

I made mine. I mounted it by using the Shiloh wood screw and an extended tang screw.
lrb

Post by lrb »

[urn=https://postimg.cc/LqQKyfcw]Image[/url] Here is a shot of the underneath. The plate is below the wood level so as to not damage the Shiloh finish
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

It can be drilled, it's just a case hardening, don't take a chance of stripping wood screw or over tightening tank screw, and also bed it so as not
to try and swivel on you.

Kirk
lrb

Post by lrb »

I will not say my way of mounting the pistol grip is the best method to use, only a slightly different method and design which does not require an additional hole through the tang, and the grip can be removed leaving no evidence anything was ever there. Of course also, my grip was made with a longer mount area to go beyond the tangs wood screw giving more resistance to possible swivel . I experienced no problems tightening the screws down well and I did carefully remove wood on the under side to fit and conform over the tang with little to no chance of allowing any swivel. :)