Configuring .45-70 loads for 1000yds

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Configuring .45-70 loads for 1000yds

Post by TexasMac »

The YCSA has added a Creedmoor match to some of the monthly schedules. Not currently having a .45-90 I plan to load some .45-70 ammo. I understand that idealy 1300 to 1350fps is preferred when shooting out to 1000yds. I know I can get around 80 to 82grs in the case using Swiss 1.5 (with .25 to .3" of compression) which may turn out not to be an ideal charge from an accuracy point of view. Eventually I'll get to the range to run a ladder test or two but was wondering what the velocity might be if using 80grs with a 540gr bullet?

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
ian45662

Re: Configuring .45-70 loads for 1000yds

Post by ian45662 »

I am getting a little over 1300 with 74 grains of Swiss 2F in my 70
I am using the money bullet with 3 reduced bands and that gives my about .160 compression
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Wayne, Ian, gentlemen, esteemed BPCR shooters, let me call your attention to some Creedmoor "FACTS". Yes, those pesky facts.

Aviator (Steve Farringer) and Long Hunter (Mark Schuenke) handed some of the Worlds Best Long Range BPCR & ML Shooters their hats at the Desert International Ironman and 1,000 yard World Championship a couple of years ago both using 45-70's against mostly 90's and 100's.
Their successes and loads were published in the Black Powder Cartridge News, so, if you were paying attention, you would "already" know which direction to take based on demonstrable results. (facts)

AND, I might add, one of the best BPCR long range Target shooters ever to foul a BPCR bore, Aero, evolved into a 45-70 from a 90, whose load information is also found in the pages of previous editions of the Black Powder Cartridge News.

I suggest that you familiarize yourselves with what those winners have done with the 45-70 before you proceed further, because, facts matter.

Just pointing out the available factual information based on actual performance. :wink:

I know, I know, fact is another of those four letter words like work that most tend to ignore. :roll:

Oh, if you or anyone else suffering from confirmation bias fail to notice, I seem to recall all three used grease groove bullets. Are you listening SEMTAV?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:11 am Wayne, Ian, gentlemen, esteemed BPCR shooters, let me call your attention to some Creedmoor "FACTS". Yes, those pesky facts.

Aviator (Steve Farringer) and Long Hunter (Mark Schuenke) handed some of the Worlds Best Long Range BPCR & ML Shooters their hats at the Desert International Ironman and 1,000 yard World Championship a couple of years ago both using 45-70's against mostly 90's and 100's.
Their successes and loads were published in the Black Powder Cartridge News, so, if you were paying attention, you would "already" know which direction to take based on demonstrable results. (facts)

AND, I might add, one of the best BPCR long range Target shooters ever to foul a BPCR bore, Aero, evolved into a 45-70 from a 90, whose load information is also found in the pages of previous editions of the Black Powder Cartridge News.

I suggest that you familiarize yourselves with what those winners have done with the 45-70 before you proceed further, because, facts matter.

Just pointing out the available factual information based on actual performance. :wink:

I know, I know, fact is another of those four letter words like work that most tend to ignore. :roll:

Oh, if you or anyone else suffering from confirmation bias fail to notice, I seem to recall all three used grease groove bullets. Are you listening SEMTAV?
Steve is the one who recommended this bullet and load that I am using :D . I have been extremely happy with it and probably owe him a few of his most favorite beers.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:11 am

Oh those poor individuals!!
Realizing their wins are only a result of their shooting abilities and the skills of their spotters and not the excellent paperpatch loads they could have been using must weigh heavy on their minds the rest of the year!!!
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Being a "Skeet Snob" and wanna be diaper genie I am loving the banter here.

And if there is a pdf of the afore mentioned articles for those of us without access to the BP news would be greatly appreciated.

Charles
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Showing up for a gong shoot without a teammate and/or not having a designated spotter who is not the "pick of the litter" typically yields disappointing results and at times can even provide a degree of mirth. The results at the DI for those not using a spotter illustrate the challenge of "going it alone". I applaud them. And all the competitors as well. Some day I would like to sit behind a good team just to observe and listen to their wind calls and learn the art. And access to a longer distance range to apply it would be positive.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

As for PP or GG, cartridge or muzzleloader, it's the enjoyment that matters. A couple(?) years ago Ian shared his journey with PP, achieving good results but ultimately going back to GG for the ease in reloading. The learning curve with PP may be more challenging for those seeking instant gratification at the target. Whatever. In any case we keep evolving in both disciplines and I hope we will see a resurgence in this sport soon or...
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well Mike, you and I take a very different view of that 'SPECIAL' individual, Ian Egbert.
Obviously, Ian's renaissance was more likely the result of plain language directed through his eyes to his ever inquisitive brain spoken by his targets.

Basically, Ian realizes that what the target has to say is far more important than what ill informed practitioners advise. :mrgreen:
AND, since Ian does not want to engage in constant deflections from facts he embraced what the winners use, grease groove bullets.

Seems a weak position to take, suggesting ease of loading. Obviously, Ian could care less about any lackadaisical approach to loading ammunition. He wants it done right and that is why the competitors winning matches are delighted to provide him factual information to aid in his journey.

Moreover, no amount of salacious pontificating about the mythical benefits of diapered projectiles can erase established fact. :wink:

AND, SEMTAV, it is what it is, Bro. :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

ian45662 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:10 am I am getting a little over 1300 with 74 grains of Swiss 2F in my 70
I am using the money bullet with 3 reduced bands and that gives my about .160 compression
Thanks,

My loads using the Paul Jones 45022-2 bullet pretty much match your powder weight vs compression. So reaching 1300 to 1350fps should not be a problem. The bullet drops out of the mould at 540grs with 16:1 alloy.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Almost 12 months ago if you would have told me that I would be shooting greasers I would have laughed. Loading ammo for my wife got me thinking. This is way quicker. I decided to revisit GG for myself and haven’t looked back. I have shot a lot of master scores with paper patch and shot several 1000 yard scores in the 90s but….. now I can say that I have also done the same with grease groove bullets also. So now I have to ask myself. In the end….. Is the extra time that I need in order to make diapered bullets worth it when I can make quality ammo in half the time. Ammo that is also quicker to load on the firing line also….. For me that answer is no. I just picked up a long range muzzleloader and I will start playing with paper patch bullets in that but for cartridge…. I’m not about that life anymore.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

TexasMac wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:17 pm
ian45662 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:10 am I am getting a little over 1300 with 74 grains of Swiss 2F in my 70
Thanks,

My loads using the Paul Jones 45022-2 bullet pretty much match your powder weight vs compression. So reaching 1300 to 1350fps should not be a problem. The bullet drops out of the mould at 540grs with 16:1 alloy.

Wayne

Should be good to go then. Mine is 535 with 16:1