Sandbags

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Sandbags

Post by JonnyV »

Hey all,

At the upcoming Desert International match, we are allowed the use of sandbags during the 22 competition. Are there decent sandbags that guys like available for sale? Or, are we just making our own…?
Aviator

Re: Sandbags

Post by Aviator »

You're shooting an Open type rifle?
If you're shooting a BPTR type rifle, I don't think sandbags are part of the equation.
However, since I don't shoot Open, I am ignorant of the fine details of sandbag construction.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Not sure if this is what your looking for or not but they are nice people to deal with and their product seems to be of good quality.
https://protektormodel.com/collections/all
Sam
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Aviator is correct. Sandbags are required front rests in the open part of the .22 Target Event, if any rest is used.
Neither BPCR nor Open may use a rear rest. All shooting is from 200 yards. .22 long rifle chambered rifles and ammunition only.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

As for the question concerning sandbags.
Several used in the past, if not most, may have at one time been canvas bags containing lead shot for reloading.
Otherwise, appearing to have been made from a medium weight canvas material. Usually, 3-4 in number
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Sorry for asking dumb questions… Just trying to make sure I have everything I need.
From Along The Trail

Post by From Along The Trail »

I found a couple soft leather bags that were sown all around the edge. Just about the size I was thinking of using. No idea what they were for. But I bought small bean bag pillow that had plastic beads in it. Cut a opening in the corner and filled the bag with the beads. To what I felt would work. Considerably lighter than sand bags.

Just a thought. Even blue jean bags.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

Jonny, the bags I use I fill with my used corn cob from my case tumbler. It makes the bag firm but not rock hard like sand. Sand makes the barrel bounce. Dave