Lower Buckhorn Sight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ccongos@me.com

Lower Buckhorn Sight

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Probably a common problem, but I removed my full buckhorn sight because it blocks my view through my MVA vernier. Of course, now I don't have a point-and-shoot rear sight for closer-ups. Has anyone installed a half buckhorn sight to have them out of the way enough? Even at 200 yards, the fulls interfere with my view through my rear peep.
-Chad
powderburner

Re: Lower Buckhorn Sight

Post by powderburner »

If you have good eyes a Lawrence is better because it doesn’t snag your hand like a semi does.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

You can cut the horns off to make the top of the sight flat.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Semi buckhorn works fine too..bobw
bobw
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Thanks gentlemen. I'll experiment by grinding down the full buckhorns. Got a really nice bench grinder, might as well put it to some use.
-Chad
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Assuming you will remove the sight to modify, I would clamp sight to a square block of wood and use a bench top belt sander, use its table. That way you can keep it all square and put a negative angle across the top edge. Don't over heat it.
kw
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

The buckhorn sight is the tallest rear sight. If it still obscures the vernier after removing the horns, try the Lawrence sight. It’s probably too low, but just flip up the ladder.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Rethinking this. Lawrence or semi buckhorn rear barrel sight are the way to go if you want to leave them in place while using a tang sight and replaceable insert front sight.. Don't shoot your rifle with the tang sight folded back that could result in a serious facial injury or your eye poked out. Most people just remove the rear barrel sight it's only one screw. The rear sight notches are made to be used with the silver blade frt or a penny insert or a beach frt. From what your original post infers you want to play musical sights. Take your rear barrel sight off. set your zero for 100 or 150 yards shoot as set at 25,50,75 ,100,125 ,175 & 200 write down the impact ctrs to memorize or shoot at all those ranges using the come ups and downs if you actually think you have time to adjust the tang while hunting. Better yet just buy another shiloh to be used with the barrel sights only. The rest of us have figured out you can't just have one. You aren't slow are you? You do what you like just remember the tang needs to come off if you switch to rear barrel sight. Bobw
bobw
ccongos@me.com

Post by ccongos@me.com »

Bob, after careful study yesterday, I think your right. Unless I try the Lawrence sights, I just don't think I can get my full buckhorn ground down low enough. Quigley only had one rifle, and if that was good enough for him, then it's good enough for me! I still may consider something else in the future, but it looks like just keeping the MVA vernier on as the one-and-only way to aim is what I'm going to do for now.

Love all of ya'lls inputs!
-Chad
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

try a large hole in the vernier eye cup may work fine art
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

ccongos@me.com wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:21 am Quigley only had one rifle, and if that was good enough for him, then it's good enough for me!
“This aint Dodge City. And you ain’t Bill Hickok”
Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Sounds like you’ve come to the same conclusion many others have. For example I’ve got a rifle that I just had to have a copy of one of those original sporter tangs on and a gentleman on this forum gave me one of the last ones he made before retiring. Love the sight very much but try as I might I couldn’t get it to work with the barrel sights. Not a big deal like was suggested I removed the screw for the barrel sight and now the sporter tang is great. Doesn’t make for much of a hunting rifle for the style of hunting I do since it’s not really practical to adjust in the field. But as a target gun it’s great. I put one of those Crossno 22LR barrel liners in it for the winter and it is tons of fun to shoot! It spends no time in the safe until I run through the entire box of 22. Honestly it’s like Bob said. Only 1 rifle doesn’t cut it unless you only do one type of shooting. That same rifle with the sporter tang is a real looker and an excellent gun off a rest or sticks. It’s a dead ringer for one of the last rifles to roll out of the Hartford factory in 1876. In 45/70 it’s very easy to work with but it’s not very light and not that great for unknown ranges. I’ve got my hunting rifle coming in the mail in just under a week. Smaller and lighter and barrel sights only. Chambered in 50/70 and with a 24in barrel it won’t reach out there like the other rifle will but that’s not what it’s for.

An alternative is Shiloh does stock the military barrel sights. They are as low as you can get. They aren’t mentioned on their website but I spoke to them on the phone a week or two ago about a different matter and thought to ask about those for the same reason you’re looking into it (the sporter tang is great without the rear sight but I don’t care for the look of the barrel missing its sight.) Didn’t order one so I haven’t tried it but maybe I’ll move a carbine sight over tomorrow to take a look and see. I can let you know how that turns out.
—Tom
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Just for info the Lawrence is made it two lengths.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T