Miles Gilbert

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Miles Gilbert

Post by bobw »

On 11/28/2023 Miles Gilbert author of " Getting a Stand" part author of " The Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters & Skinners" as well as many articles of the buffalo hunt era passed away in his sleep. He had been suffering a terminal illness. I don't know anything about it more than I have allready.mentioned . He was a professional archeologist widely respected in the field. God speed Miles. RIP Bobw
bobw
Randy Bohannon

Re: Miles Gilbert

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Amen, RIP great book too.
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Loved his book. Saw in the Sharps Collectors magazine he was not well.
bobw

Post by bobw »

This last issue he had a really great article on his 45-70 Business rifle. Bobw
bobw
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Might this be the same Miles Gilbert that made the Bedrock stock bedding compound?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006499518?pid=790049

That's the only place I'd heard his name before this?
srjames

Post by srjames »

Back in the late 60s/early 70s I was an undergraduate at the University of Missouri majoring in archaeology. Miles (he went by Bob Gilbert back then) ran the archaeology lab and he became my mentor. One of my main interests was animal and human osteology which was also his forte. His mentorship set me on a career path for the next 50 years. But in addition to the academic training I received from him, he also introduced me to the fascinating world of black powder firearms, both muzzleloader and cartridge guns, a passion that also continues to this day. Unfortunately, I lost track of him quite some time ago. I don’t think he ever had any idea of the influence he had on me and my life’s direction. He was a good man.
Rest in peace, Miles.