New to me Shiloh Sharps & Considering Blackpowder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RandallM

Re: New to me Shiloh Sharps & Considering Blackpowder

Post by RandallM »

I called BACO today and had a chat with them about their bullet options, and what's in stock/out of stock etc. May or may not order some 1.5F Swiss, as I've already got 2F in hand. Should figure out my order by early next week.

Not in a massive rush for anything, as I've got shoulder replacement surgery (left side) coming up in about 10 days, so I'll be sidelined for a bit after that anyway.
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

If you have 2F go ahead and use it. It will get you started. You can generally find a good load with Swiss with little or no compression. If you don't use a drop tube you can easily compress 1/16" with the bullet without deforming it. There are several ways to determine seating depth. I drop a sized bullet into the empty chamber and measure from the back of the chamber to the back of the bullet. Add the bullet length to get the cartridge overall length. Load to this length and go shoot. Have fun.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Good to know you're probably less than 20 miles from me. I can help you along the way if you would like. I'm always ready to help get a new shooter started.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"