Don McDowell

Re: The end of an Era?

Post by Don McDowell »

We were assured that minutes were being taken and would be made available
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I guess you missed the question mark at the end Don. Trying to define the situation to understand were we are, not make judgements of any one. Seems like miscommunication is a plausible explanation and the search for common ground will be more productive than will be making castigating remarks! Donny Pooh :lol:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You did read the article in this last BPCN?
So I take it you have not, and do not intend to talk with the folks that you claim to know so well, that were at the shooters meeting?
There was no misunderstanding, it was plain and clear that the bptr nationals were moving to Camp Perry, and was going to be like the second week in July.. and if there were not more than 50 competitors the match would end.
It was a very hot topic in the pits, at gatherings before and after each days match, after the shooters meeting, and continued on thru phone calls and email for quite some time.
Why Willing and his folks continue to deny this is beyond comprehention.
Willing says he wants open communication, yet he absolutely refuses to answer emails, except for when he got Kidwell to help him try and throw Kenny under the bus.
There needs to be a big change in the way the NRA Competitions people deal with the folks that pay their way, or competitions will die. The numbers have steadily declined in most disciplines in the last few years... but yet no one seems to want to address the situation except for one editorial in Shooting Sports USA where Willing thought the target frames at one pistol competition were old and the reason for decline, so they are going to spend a bunch of money on new target frames..
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

We were also told that the 7 national records set at the nationals this year would be posted and updated immediately, as of about 45 seconds ago, that turns out to be a no go....
Anybody else notice the Castle trophy? It hasn't had a new plaque put on it since 2008. In my email to Willing I told him if he would send me the scores and the size of the plaques, and the type of print, I would pay to have those plaques made, and send them to the Whittington or were ever the trophy is to have it updated..But remember in his response to Kidwell, he said the only thing he'ld gotten was a bunch of criticism..
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Donny, my boy, keep my name out of your tirades and also about me helping to throw someone under the bus. I don't appreciate it :x .................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jimmy olboy, when you told Willing that you thanked him for setting the record straight , after he got thru telling you that what Kenny said is false, throwing Kenny under the bus is exactly what you did.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Good grief Don, stop eating your own!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Tiz not me eating my own Mike... unless you put telling the truth eating your own.

Dennis,

Thank you for correcting some bad information……………

Numbers have been declining in recent years due to several decisions made in the Competition Division. The decision to split off the Target Rifle venue from the

Silhouette venue has caused many to make a choice on what venue to attend. Many of us cannot afford to make two trips in a two month period to the Whittington Center in one year.

The BPTR and BPCR Nationals have to re unite in order to keep both venues realistic. Shooting the Silhouette match on the 4th of July is not a favorable date for most

competitors because of family commitments and weather. Shooting BPTR in the heat of early July is also unrealistic. Combining both in late August or early September is a realistic

goal.

I know there is no happy medium, but I would appreciate your consideration of what will make this sport grow back to the way it was. All I have heard in recent years from the Competition Division is the reason the Nationals are declining in participation is the cost. Not true…… Why are other venues growing and are even including foreign shooters?

There has been no communication from our Committee on what has been discussed at meetings. In some cases, we have been told from committee members, their input goes nowhere, so why communicate. Your email is a bright light on maybe someone cares……….Thank you…..It is appreciated, even if it goes nowhere……………………..

Regards,

Jim Kidwell

Match Director

S.E. Regional BPTR/BPCR Championship

PS: Anything I can do to contribute to BPTR/BPCR growth is the least I can do………………………..

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 8:05 AM
To: 'bpsteve@cox.net'
Cc: 'shorty@dakotacom.net'
Subject: Black Powder Issues

Steve,

I have been recently informed that, according to forum reports, the Black Powder National Championship is being moved to Camp Perry. NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

I have NOT now nor will I ever authorize that. Camp Perry is totally unsuited to this type of competition. I will leave the events in Raton before ever considering Camp Perry.

I do not know where this rumor started but according to the forum Kenny Wasserberger reported that it was a done deal. I don’t know where Kenny got his information but he didn’t ask me. People should try that sometime, it works.

All I am considering is a move somewhere east of the Mississippi due to declining attendance at Raton. This was suggested as a possible move to me by BPTR competitors. I want this sport to survive and thrive but whatever is going on in Raton, it doesn’t seem to be working. Attendance has been in decline since 2008, 4 years before I assumed this job.

I am only CONSIDERING such a move and NOT MAKING such a move, at least not yet.

I’ll see what happens in 2015 before making a decision. No decision has been made as to the location of the 2016 championship. It could conceivably be held in Raton.

If you would please inform the BPTR community of this it would be greatly appreciated.

Denny

Dennis L. Willing

Director, NRA

Competitive Shooting Division

11250 Waples Mill Road

Fairfax, VA 22030

Office 703-267-1460

Cell 571-299-9429

Fax 703-267-3941
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, perhaps the sky isn't falling after all ! Actually with the price of gas down like it is and the economy starting to pick back up I bet there will be an uptick in shooting participation across the country. I think the high gas prices ,poor economic growth and shortage of loading supplies has put a lot of stress on the shooting sports in recent times. I see the reloading supply shelves starting to fill back up with plenty of primers now and an ever increasing variety of powder available.
We have been experiencing increased involvement in shooting our matches over the last couple of months. Could just be a fluke I suppose but it looks to me like the entire range(shotgun, rifle and pistol) is pretty full all day long at the times I'm there to compete. In the cold and darkness we have this time of year that is note worthy in my opinion.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

mdeland wrote:Well, perhaps the sky isn't falling after all ! Actually with the price of gas down like it is and the economy starting to pick back up I bet there will be an uptick in shooting participation across the country. I think the high gas prices ,poor economic growth and shortage of loading supplies has put a lot of stress on the shooting sports in recent times. I see the reloading supply shelves starting to fill back up with plenty of primers now and an ever increasing variety of powder available.
We have been experiencing increased involvement in shooting our matches over the last couple of months. Could just be a fluke I suppose but it looks to me like the entire range(shotgun, rifle and pistol) is pretty full all day long at the times I'm there to compete. In the cold and darkness we have this time of year that is note worthy in my opinion.
Think it has more to do with ammo/components being available again. Than gas prices.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Hope I can save enough on the cost of gas to pay for the increase in the cost of loading supplies. BP seems to increased the least (hope the makers/sellers of BP don't read this ;)).
Glenn
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I still wonder if it is a maturity thing. A lot of people have bought guns that had little experience with them. Now, after fall the cool of buying and owning it has worn off they will either sell them, put them in the back of the closet, or, I hope, look for a place to go shoot them. I really hope we will see a resurgence in competitive shooting. We will give them a few years to realize how boring it is shooting smokeless and then we will see how many wander over to something a real rifleman shoots.....A BPCR with the holy black!! :lol: :lol:
take care, Cody
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

This was the federation post I was referring too.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Very illuminating...

Problems now look largely the same as they were then.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Me thinks the NRA is in its death throes also! Its been playing nothing but a con game ever since Wayne took over! 75 BOARD MEMBERS! What a joke!!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!