african hunting

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brstone3

african hunting

Post by Brstone3 »

Is anyone aware of the use of sharps rifles for hunting in Africa in the period 1860 to 1890? any suggestions as to articles or books would be appreciated.
1minute

Re: african hunting

Post by 1minute »

Since my retirement, I have done a ton of Africa reading (mostly 1750 to late 1800's works) and see essentially no mention of US arms or makers. With the advent of cartridges, near all went to British makes and models.

The US was not much into expanding its empire, so we didn't get out as much as the European nations.
1Minute
Brstone3

Post by Brstone3 »

Frederick Selous book "A Hunter's Wanderings in Africa" covers his years 1871 to 1880 and it seems that he is often using a big single shot rifle. I don't think he had much money at that time and the 1874 Sharps model would have been just out. But I can't find stories of other
African hunters of that era using Sharps rifles. I find it odd that no rich European hunter took a Sharps rifle to Africa in that time period.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

The only reference I have ever seen of US rifles being used in Africa were 1873 Winchester’s in 44 WCF. If I’m recalling correctly it was for the first Boer war.