What Makes a Good Stock Riser?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Castaway

What Makes a Good Stock Riser?

Post by Castaway »

One of the ranges I go to has a 600 yard range and just recently a 1,000 yard range. I’ve qualified my Sharps for 600 and am aiming for a 1,000 yard qualification. I’m tired of my cheek not resting on something of substance and have decided to make a stock riser and am asking opinions as to what makes a good one. Any and all comments are welcome
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: What Makes a Good Stock Riser?

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Accu-Riser lace on.

Best there is for the money.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

IMG_6626.jpeg
Wanted to know what made a good one. Here’s my attempt to make my own. I’ve already figured out Velcro is a better way to go than lace so it’s easily removed and the staff can fold down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Accu-riser. best bang for the buck
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bobw

Post by bobw »

bpcr shooter wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:56 pm Accu-riser. best bang for the buck
+ 10
bobw
steveu834

Post by steveu834 »

I have a accu-riser. For iron sights I think it’s the best because it’s adjustable.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

For those that wipe between shots do these stock risers get in the way? Or can you flex a delrin rod around them?

The Accu-Riser looks like a nice lace on riser.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I use mine with a Tipton carbon fiber rod, but I suppose if you set it really high it could get in the way. It works fine for me though.

Chris.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

patchbox wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:55 pm For those that wipe between shots do these stock risers get in the way? Or can you flex a delrin rod around them?

The Accu-Riser looks like a nice lace on riser.
On my Ballards the riser is something you have to work around, the delrin rods get flexed to swab.
kw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Accuriser are the best not only height adj. But drop at comb or heel of riser and you can tweak the cast a bit also. They are the way to go nothing else out there even close..bobw
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

The original poster wrote: "asking opinions as to what makes a good one. Any and all comments are welcome."

For Mid-range 500 & 600 yards as well as Long Range 800-1000, I find it is important that the cheek stock riser is stable enough that the head position remains virtually the same throughout the string of fire, while permitting the shooter to position the fouling control through the chamber and out the muzzle with the least amount of obstacles and impedance as possible.

An advisory: For iron staff sights as the ataff setting arrives at the 900 yard setting, unless the staff is set to be perpendicular to the front sight the view through the rear aperture will be oval. That means the cant forward must be set forward in order for the view through it to the front sight to be round. An oval view through the rear aperture will lead to poor results at the target. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!