Powder measure

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Luke

Re: Powder measure

Post by Luke »

If you are asking how much the hopper holds, about half a pound. I have found that the current Goex container fits snugly in the hopper top, so I have one with the bottom cut off that gives me well over a pound of capacity if I need it. Very rarely use that. One hopper full is a good time for a break.
Limber Up!
VBull

Post by VBull »

Mike,
I don't weigh charges other than to set the measure. I shoot Swiss powder and look for .100 to .150" compression after it has been dropped down a 24" arrow shaft. When I started the only available powder was Goex and we filled the case and compressed until the case bulged and then backed off a couple grains. I check the weight after I've thrown about half the cases I'm loading then again at the finish just as a quality control check.
As far as accuracy, I once traveled to and shot NRA BP Target rifle all over the country. I shot Open class, military, scoped rifle and muzzleloader in position, prone and aggregates from 200 yards to 1000. I also loaded for my wife when we shot together in the early 2000's. In that time we set over 50 National records. Practicing and shooting matches consumes A LOT of ammunition. Especially if you want to get good. I also don't like loading ammo and weighing everything. Life is too short. I'd rather shoot and have made my loading process as simple as possible and still get quality (but not perfect) ammunition.
I've attached 2 photos of the B&M type powder measure tubes I've been using for a long time. Frank M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Just to clarify: What Vbull has been calling the drop tube is what I would term the powder measure. This receives the powder from the sliding chamber of the B&M and then can be used to pour the measured charge into a separate actual drop tube.
Limber Up!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Aahhh! Ok 👍🏻
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

I have used them all and all are inferior to Harrell's.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

jackrabbit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:00 pm I have used them all and all are inferior to Harrell's.
For finer granulations I would agree with you, but my Harrels doesn't work at all with Swiss Fg. It just jams up completely. Mine is very good with my old batch of Express FFFg, and quite good with Swiss 1.5.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Boy do I miss Goex Express.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Yeah it was pretty good stuff. Strangely, there used to be a local guy who sold Goex and he had brought in a bunch of Express. He couldn't get anyone to pay for it so he offered all he had to me at his cost. I shot through several cases of FFg and FFFg. I still have a little of the FFFg Express left. I use it for 40-65 practice. 58gr of that powder and the Saeco #740 bullet is one of the most accurate loads I've ever shot at 200m.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yeah, boy was I surprised by 2F Express, first time out, 77 grains, 45-90, 300 yards, five shots, one hole about 0.75"
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

There was a fella out of Wyoming. Who was asked by Goex to test the new process powder.

Testing was conducted at a private range in NE Wyoming, accuracy was exceptional so much so that the Goex representative swore the Wyoming shooter to secrecy yet he took measurements and pictures of several of the groups @800 and 1000 yards.

That gentleman went on to win several National Scope Creedmoor titles with the renamed Goex Express in FG. 2006 and 2013, won a winter Nationals Scope title also in 2013, and several Creedmoor cups, 2011,2012,2013,2014, at Ben Avery all with Express powder.

A few years later it is rumored that the same shooter did a 3 peat with Goex Olde Eynsford including a midrange Scope national Championship in 2018. With Huey Wilson as spotter. During the course of those 2 days, he took 3rd overall at 300 yards, 3rd Overall at 500 yards, and Day 1 won 600 yards against everyone including all of our favorite heavy hitters in the game. :

Dave Gullo mentioned at the dinner that this shooter’s load was still super sonic at 300 yards as he and John Venhaus were pulling his target. :shock: Olde Eynsford 1.5 FG.

Oh a Small FYI:
Except for 2006 which was won with A NASA bullet design monogroove bullet, all the rest were won With Paper Patch Bullets :shock: :shock:

2018 win was with a Paul Jones Money PP Bullet actually designed specifically for a Shiloh 25# Bull Barrel, again by Dan Theodor.

Just a gentle reminder that bullet at 600 yards in some conditions bested all comers. :P

Kenny Wasserburger

Rip Dan Theodor, Bill Bagwell, Mick Feringer, Don McDonnald :(
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter