bobw
mike herth

Re: Scope mt

Post by mike herth »

Noooo...Say it ain't so Bob!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Mike right now I see better than I have for 30 years. My eyes got better I don't even need them to drive legally . I am staying with tang sights on targets long as I can. I am thinking in terms of scoping a non target rifle just learn the use of it.. that simple.bobw
bobw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Hey Bob. Nobody’s eyes are good enough to drive without them.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hey Dean my eyes are good enough without glasses to drive legally. But 10 yrs of plowing snow did a good job of convincing me to allways wear them while driving..bobw
bobw
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

bobw, don't know about the dovetail mounts, all of mine are drilled and tapped, and that works very well for me. 23 inch MVA's and one DZ.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Most of mine are D&T for scope bases, but I do own two Ballard rifles that both happen to have full length Stevens scopes that use the front and rear sight dovetails. They're great for 200 yds., but start stretching shots out further and they quickly run out of elevation with the standard rings.
This one is a .22RF, so doesn't get shot past 100 yds.

This one is a Rigby offhand rifle in .40-63 Everlasting, and about 300 yds. is as far as I've shot it.

Orville

Post by Orville »

Bob MVA cut dovetails for me on the rings so there is no extra block. The rings on the scope go directly into the dovetails on the barrel. Some naysayers say they will shoot loose, the originals where mounted that way and I’ve used them on 4 different guns, 40-70, 44-77, 45-2 7/8 and a 50-2 1/2. Also it makes for the scope to be closer to barrel easier to keep your head down on the stock.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
billhux

Post by billhux »

We use them Bob, no 2 mount with a 2000 series scope adjustable wind on the front.
With 10.34 spacing you would change blocks once for Q ranges if relays come out right, it is fast and easy return to zero if you torque the screws the same.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Thanks Orville and Bill. Orville with the mount your talking about on a 7000 series scope on a 30" barrel can a guy get 1000 yds with the cartridges you mentioned? What reticle? Bobw
bobw
Orville

Post by Orville »

I have a 34 inch scope with the dovetails on the rings mounted on my 35 inch barrel 45-2 7/8. MVA also made a reticle for me with 5-6 extra stadia hairs, with those I have no problem shooting out to 1000 yards, there is enough adjustment on their creedmoor mount to dial it in, just use one of the bottom stadia hairs.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.