New stock for a Shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

New stock for a Shiloh

Post by mongo40 »

I'm going to put a new stock on a Shiloh I have that the original stock was cut down to fit the lady that use to own it, its a shame to as it sure is a pretty piece of walnut. I'm 6'4 with a pretty good reach so would like to put a longer one on it. Anyone re-stocked their rifle with a stock from CPA? Before everyone starts saying Treebone, I contacted him first but currently he only has 3 options and the one that would work comes with a shadow lined cheek rest and price seems pretty high for 30% figure and then I'd have to remove cheek rest, just more work for me. CPA has one that fits the bill for what I'm looking for plus I can request a longer LOP. Spoke with them and they said there's are inletted for an Original Sharps at 90 something percent so should work and if not I can return for full refund. I've done stocks before just cant shrink and existing inlet if its to big. Like to hear your experience getting one if anyone has. Thanks
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
bpcrshooter62

Re: New stock for a Shiloh

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Hi did you call Shiloh and see about them doing it for you as we all know they do the best!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

No, I was told that Shiloh doesn't sell stocks so didn't bother.
Chris Wilson
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

I have a friend who has used several stocks from CPA with no complaints. They'll even carve your wood at a good price. Some places won't carve any wood other than their own.
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
Luke

Post by Luke »

They won't sell you a stock, but I believe they'll do a restock on request.
Limber Up!
bobw

Post by bobw »

Luke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:38 pm They won't sell you a stock, but I believe they'll do a restock on request.
Luke hit it. But so you know I enquired about replacing a stock on a pre Bryan shiloh once. Mine was a lre model with nice wood that has a crack in it not bad but something a lot of people on this forum would not tolerate. After they explained that duplicating that grade of wood and fitting it would necessitate refinishing the action, they sand to metal on the fit and a new buttplate it would run over 1000 bucks. So if you want to fully restore it you pay, I hope you got into it cheap like 1/2 of what it would have been worth un molested because that is what was done to it. A big part of the pride of Shiloh ownership is the immaculate care of their workmanship and fit. To restore that costs lots of money and wait in time. No real simple expedient fix.if just adding length to the sawed off butt and completing a good recoil reducing pad you could get it to shooter status fairly quick for minimum money. Best of luck. Bobw
bobw
Luke

Post by Luke »

Fwiw I think you could diy, but you'll see unaltered Shiloh's and it'll bug the heck out of you. IMHO I'd sell it to someone who can use it and order one with an LOP you like thru Goodman.
Limber Up!
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks for the replies! I got a great deal on this rifle off Steve Baldwin. He had this one stuck back with a full compliment of his sights on it. He told me that he had fixed it up for a lady customer, hence the shortened stock, not sure what happened unless she traded it to him for another rifle or what but he made me an offer I couldn't refuse on it. I plan to pull the stock and forearm and put a different set on it with a longer LOP. I might get around and sell the current furniture to someone that has a shorter reach and could use it as it is some pretty wood.
I spoke with Mike Basset yesterday and I'm going to get a new stock from him. Didn't realize his shop is only 1.5 hrs from my house so works out great. Thanks
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
Luke

Post by Luke »

That sounds like a good plan. Enjoy!
Limber Up!