Why case separation?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcrshooter62

Re: Why case separation?

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

O ya just make sure you leave them in the tumbler long enough to clean them really good lol :D :D :D Keep shooting and having fun :D :D :D
VBull

Post by VBull »

Have someone make you a cylindrical slug a few thousands under bore diameter to drop down the barrel after you swab it with a wet patch. The case fragment will punch out the breech with a rod. I've made them out of brass, aluminum and delrin. Keep it in your kit, if you don't need it someone will.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yes, works like a charm.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Great idea! Thanks!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My tumbler came in the other day. What a difference it made!
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Looking good and very uniform.bobw
bobw
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

bobw wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 am Looking good and very uniform.bobw
Yup, the name of the game is ‘the same’.

Robert
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

This Ulsher technique works as well:

Cut blue shop towels into 1/2" squares, put in bag and have in shooting box. For a separated case:

* Close breech
* Take shop towel squares, from the muzzle end, using cleaning rod start to push down and fill chamber until about 1/2" above lands.
* Tamp down patches down good and tight, like you would loading a muzzle loader.
* Open breech, take rod and from the muzzle end, push patches out; the separated case will come with them.
If it doesn't, just repeat, it will the second time.

It's simple and quick with no potential damage to your barrel.

"There are no short cuts in BPCR Silhouette match shooting."
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Good plan, RB1Shooter. Good plan.
Robert
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I've never experienced a case separation but, if needed, keep a simple tool in the shooting box for removing the remaining case. Since the majority of my shooting is with a .40-65, the tool is just a .38 Special or .357 Mag. case with the rim turned down to 0.399" diameter - quite easy with a belt sander or chucking the case is a drill & spinning it against sand paper. Just drop it down the bore from the muzzle rim 1st followed by a cleaning rod to push the remaining case out. It should work with any .40 caliber BPCR

I don't know what rimmed handgun case would be suitable for .45 caliber but no doubt there is one.

Here’s the type I also keep in the shooting box in case of a .45-70 separation which should work with any .45 caliber BPCR:
https://www.lodgewood.com/US-4570-Sprin ... _2672.html

Unless you're shooting an original Springfield Trapdoor rifle, don’t purchase the Springfield model 1882 .45-70 extractor since it’s made for only 3-groove bores.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

What is the white stuff on the bullets? Is that to keep the grease lube clean when you seat the bullet way out?
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Gussy wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:00 pm What is the white stuff on the bullets? Is that to keep the grease lube clean when you seat the bullet way out?
Yes, indeed, Gussy. :lol:

Robert
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

This is my case cleaning process (the ‘KISS’ method - KISS: ‘keep it simple, stupid’):
I deprime the spent cases, power-brush them all in hot soapy water(a little vinegar to help neutralize the acidity), rinse, then dry them in the oven at 175 degrees for twenty minutes. I then store them in one-gallon ziplocks until I have a large enough quantity to ‘spit-shine’ in my tumbler. They turn out looking perfectly new after tumbling and drying.
I think I’ve got a good plan/system.
Robert
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

That’ll work.

I did some pH testing a while back and found that it took about 1 1/2 ounces of white vinegar in about 2/3 gallon of water to bring the pH back down into the normal range. I was just soaking the decapped cases too, not brushing them.

If you just dump fired cases into soap water, the pH will run up to about 10-11 (alkaline). The small amount of vinegar will get it down to around 6-7. Use too much vinegar and you can end up in an acid state (pH below 5). Either an acid or alkaline state can corrode your brass. 1 1/2 ounces of vinegar is the amount thats in a large shot glass, the one with the line on it.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, Jonny! Very much appreciated. If my math is correct that’s (3) ounces of white vinegar per @(19) cups of water. Again, your help is greatly appreciated!
Robert