40-90 BN Bullet recommendations

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

40-90 BN Bullet recommendations

Post by mongo40 »

Looking for recommendations on 40 cal bullets for a 40-90BN, the bore diameter is .401 and groove dia. is .407. 28" original sharps barrel. Figured I'd order a mix from Buffalo arms and see what it likes but not sure where to start. Thanks
Chris Wilson
Chris Wilson
desert deuce

Re: 40-90 BN Bullet recommendations

Post by desert deuce »

I once considered taking on that same project once. Very briefly.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I didn't mention in the reply on the other forum, I did send some of those bullets mentioned there to a friend that acquired an original like yours and he reported back they shot well.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks, I"ll see if BAs has something close to what you recommended and order some. Don't want to buy a mold till I know what it likes.
Chris Wilson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yeh but if you’re not a member in good stsnding in the mould of the month club are you really a shooter😂😂🤪😜
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

What Donnie Ray said.... :wink:
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

[quote="Don McDowell" post_id=345199 time=1704495845 user_id=9015]
Yeh but if you’re not a member in good stsnding in the mould of the month club are you really a shooter😂😂🤪😜
[/quote]

... Man oh man Don... I've got that covered then :roll: :oops:
.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well and the other thought is if they don’t work in that rifle another they might work in is just a simple order away
But bigger problem is keeping enough powder on hand to feed the beast my 40-90 eats 94 grains of 1 f every time it goes bang😂
Dafaerber

Post by Dafaerber »

I’ve used a 400 gr custom Hoch for years sized to .410” for a shiloh. Moa
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

If this rifle has an original chamber, will it even chamber a loaded cartridge if the bullet is over bore diameter?
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

I always shoot bullets where the base band is .002" wider than the groove-to-groove diameter and do not have a problem chambering the bullet as long as all my grease grooves are in the case.

You only have a problem if they make the maximum nose diameter wider than the bore diameter then it might not slide in all the way in.

No problem if the base bands are wider.

Not seen anyone make the bullet moulds to throw bullets with nose's wider than bore diameter.

If you wish to insert the bullet further into the barrel - you use a bullet with tapered (narrowed) forward base bands.
With a tapered bullet you can still can use a wider base band.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Probably the case with most std chambers Dave but the op said it was an original barrel and assuming no one has mickied the chamber with a reamer a tapered .407/.408 patched bullet is as big as will chamber. The neck dia being the issue in an unmodified original chamber. They didn't make them to use groove dia greasers. That was 77's point. Bob
bobw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Doubt the 40-90 BN was designed for, intended for and maybe not even used for Schuetzen. (74 shots to the pound + recoil therapy?)
A search of period IDEAL Moulds may disclose a mould intended for use in the 40-90 BN.
When I was thinking about it or a 44-90 RS the 40-90 BN was like a 427 Cobra Jet engine in an AMC Pacer by comparison. Much like the 38-90 Express.
Yeah, well. If you have not spent a few seasons with the 44-90 RS you really cannot appreciate it.
Remember, the 44-90 RS was the last successful commercial iteration of a cartridge specifically for long range target shooting by Remington no less.
If you can handle the term climax, it fits here in relation to cartridges for rifles shooting at long range.
Fair warning though on the 44-90 RS, if one is searching for a cartridge deemed most suitable for both mid and long range target shooting, (or gong dinging for that matter), try this one last when your abilities approach the accuracy potential of this loading. Otherwise, the potential probably will not be achieved.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

The 40 2 5/8 SBN was a hunting cartridge. Kind of the 7mm magnum of its day. Flat shooting with plenty of bullet weight to get the job done.