Weighing Bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Castaway

Weighing Bullets

Post by Castaway »

I know this has been covered many times in the past, but using the forum search engine was fruitless and after going back 2 years of posts I couldn’t find an answer. A range somewhat nearby now has a 1,000 yard range where I can stretch out my rifle. As an aside, I’m the only one shooting iron sights that has qualified a rifle to use the range but I’d like to increase my target hit average. Up until now, I’d never felt a need to weigh my bullets for shooting 300 yards. I know the key to accuracy is consistency, but I want to be practical. For those shooters that compete regularly at long distance, what weight tolerance do you allow? Do you arrange the bullets in ascending order of weight so adjustments are gradual over a session of shooting or do you cull those that are out of your established tolerance?
VBull

Re: Weighing Bullets

Post by VBull »

+/- 1/2 grain for 545 gr .45, 40, 38 and .30 cal. +/- .2 for .22 cal. for my Hornet.
When my casting cadence is going smooth, they typically run a bit closer in weight.
I don't keep track of the order cast and at times will shoot different lots so long as the weights
run in the same range.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I sort them into 1/2 gr lots (I.e. 545.0 - 545.4), for regular shooting/practice ammo. For match use, I sort them down further (I.e. 545.0 - 545.1) or in other words, no more than a .2 grain spread.

For next year’s D.I. match, I will make it my business to cast enough bullets that I can put together boxes where the bullets weigh exactly the same. Being that tight probably doesn’t matter at 500 or 600, but it might at 1000. If it improves my score by even a point or two, the effort is well justified. I was going to be casting bullets anyway right?

The other end of this is that your scale must be capable of consistently weighing your bullets without drifting. It must also be a good bit more accurate than the regularly accepted 1/10th of a grain. In other words, it’s gonna be expensive. None of the reloading manufacturers offer such a unit. Here’s a scale that will work….

https://www.amazon.com/FX-120i-External ... 148&sr=8-2
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Wandering zero is a problem. I’ve read reviews on Lyman, RCBS, and Frankfort Arsenal digital scales. They all seem to drift. I have a Hornady that weighs the same object differently each time the same object is placed on it. If I’d pay $800, it better be consistent. In the meantime, I’ll use my balance
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Wandering zero is a problem. I’ve read reviews on Lyman, RCBS, and Frankfort Arsenal digital scales. They all seem to drift. I have a Hornady that weighs the same object differently each time the same object is placed on it. If I’d pay $800, it better be consistent. In the meantime, I’ll use my balance
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Castaway wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:21 pm Wandering zero is a problem. I’ve read reviews on Lyman, RCBS, and Frankfort Arsenal digital scales. They all seem to drift. I have a Hornady that weighs the same object differently each time the same object is placed on it. If I’d pay $800, it better be consistent. In the meantime, I’ll use my balance
You are correct, all the scales from the reloading companies drift. The AnD does not. I have one that I scored off a buddy and it’s exceptional. I’ve even tried to fool it by weighing quickly or putting one aside and weighing it randomly while I weigh the other bullets. No dice. Same answer each time.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

These scales are very susceptible to RFI.
I found by wrapping the power cord near the scale around a strong magnet to really reduce 'wandering'.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Luke

Post by Luke »

Shooterscalculator.com

Useful tool, good data.
Limber Up!