My original.44/77 rolling block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

letfly

Re: My original.44/77 rolling block

Post by letfly »

For Roller parts and advise one might contact Kenn Womack, at Womacks rollingblocks.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

letfly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:17 pm For Roller parts and advise one might contact Kenn Womack, at Womacks rollingblocks.
Ken is a wonderful source of info and parts, but since Remington did a pretty good job of copying original rifles for their 1997 run of Rolling Blocks there's a lot of cheap parts available after Remington sold the leftovers to Numrich. At one time they had every single part ever made in 1997, and you could even buy finished receivers, barrels, and stock sets!
I bought the last set of Custom Shop upper grade stock and forearm and they came with color cased steel buttplate, and forearm tip for a whopping $165. I built up a fun gun with a .40 cal. GM barrel and chambered it in .40-50 SS for mid-range work.

I also have bought several long range tang sight parts sets and assembled sights from the parts. Great copies that total $135 for a tang sight, and about $120 for spirit level windage globe front sights. Bought pistol grip lower tangs to convert military receivers for $45. They priced parts cheaper than anyone else as they paid scrap metal prices to buy them all.
NDuckhunter2

Post by NDuckhunter2 »

Yeah, sometimes numrich has some pretty insane deals. I bought a couple nos browning A5 magnum forearms and stocks from them for $65 per forearm and $80ish for the stocks and they were factory nos browning parts. Try finding those now!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

NDuckhunter2 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:51 pm Yeah, sometimes numrich has some pretty insane deals. I bought a couple nos browning A5 magnum forearms and stocks from them for $65 per forearm and $80ish for the stocks and they were factory nos browning parts. Try finding those now!
Their deals, and quality are always good IF the parts are factory original parts they've bought from the factories. But their reproduction parts are often horrid, and I've sent back parts they should never have tried to sell. So if I know their parts are factory I'm OK, but otherwise I try to avoid their parts.
NDuckhunter2

Post by NDuckhunter2 »

It stinks all the good parts seem to be drying up, even for rolling blocks. I hope the action pins fit, if not I’m pretty sure Womack has them. I guess if I really wanted to I could have the action holes reamed along with the hammer and block and install larger pins but the action doesn’t seem that loose, but definitely is hard on my expensive .44/77 brass. The set trigger magically started working, I assume the clp I put in there loosened something up as it would set but not trip the hammer and now after a couple days of it sitting it started to function correctly. Once I get the sights installed I’ll go try some of my .446 rounds through it in order to free up some brass so I can load some .452 bullets. I sized some to .454 and could barely get the action closed. I think .452 will do it and should be close enough to groove size. I want to try some .446 bullets paper patched but have never PP’d any bullets so it’ll all be new to me.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I bought the new pins from Numrich and put them in a Swede Roller action I was building a BPCR rifle from. They were a perfect fit, and although my old pins weren't horribly worn, the new pins sure made it tighter!
NDuckhunter2

Post by NDuckhunter2 »

That’s good, I wanted to tighten the action up as much as I can without permanently modifying it if possible.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I just ran across an article by Lee shaver and he talks about your barrel markings as being the standard 4477 cartridge however they designed it to shoot long heavy bullets, barely seated in the case
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
TN Longhunter

Post by TN Longhunter »

powderburner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 am I just ran across an article by Lee shaver and he talks about your barrel markings as being the standard 4477 cartridge however they designed it to shoot long heavy bullets, barely seated in the case
Any chance you post the key points of the article or a link if on line?

Don
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

powderburner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 am I just ran across an article by Lee shaver and he talks about your barrel markings as being the standard 4477 cartridge however they designed it to shoot long heavy bullets, barely seated in the case
From what I've read in several sources there's no such thing as one "standard" marking for Remingtons. It seems the company often changed the cartridge designations for almost all of their Rolling Block rifles, and even during the same similar era used different designations for the same cartridge, or the same designations for completely different cartridges. And from what I've observed on a few dozen I own there's plenty of them to know that there's not a standard marking for a certain cartridge. .44 Ctge S and 44 S were both used for the .44-77 BN. But those were also used for other .44 cartridges too. Guess nobody told the workers how they wanted the barrels marked.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

The letter was in the july 2023 single shot exchange.
It states in part the std loading didn’t have enough ooomph to do well at distance.
It was an early creedmoore designation, which ment it was designed to be fully loaded to the mouth with powder and a heavy for cal bullet barely seated in the case.
Dunno about all the other marks on remington barrels but this is the second reference to this barrel marking I have read about.
I’m thinking it was made before the 44-90
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

powderburner wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 pm The letter was in the july 2023 single shot exchange.
It states in part the std loading didn’t have enough ooomph to do well at distance.
It was an early creedmoore designation, which ment it was designed to be fully loaded to the mouth with powder and a heavy for cal bullet barely seated in the case.
Dunno about all the other marks on remington barrels but this is the second reference to this barrel marking I have read about.
I’m thinking it was made before the 44-90
Two of mine are simply marked "44 S". Both originals, one a Creedmoor, and one an extra weight 32" barreled Sporter. The .44 CTGE S marking is found on both .44-77BN and also on .44-90BN. But the 44 S is also found on both the 44-77 and 44-90.
.44 CTGE without an S is found on the .44 Long RF barrels, and also just .44 also.
At the Creedmoor matches shooters did as you mentioned, making their .44-77 ammo hold 90 grs. of BP by barely seating bullets into the case necks, and their chambers were cut to allow these type of loads to be chambered. Remington actually offered these loads as a factory load and labeled as .44-90, but used the same .44-77 case. Then the .44-90 with a longer neck was soon offered as a true .44-90 that allowed better support of the bullets without having to seat them out so far.
bobw

Post by bobw »

"In the handloaders manual of cartridge conversions" by John J Donnelly on page 575 44-77 Sharps & Remington there is a drawing that shows a base to point of shoulder dimension of 1.56" and a neck length of.480" for both cartridges. On page 579 the 44-90 Remington necked shows the base to point of shoulder as 1.70" with a neck length of.630". Clearly showing a larger body capacity helping allow the 90 grain charge as well as the longer neck. This cartridge was the 44-90 Remington Special bn 2 7/16". On page 581 the dimensional drawing of the Sharps (44-90/ 44-105) same case as a base to point of shoulder as 1.89" and neck lgth of.515" of the 2 5/8" case. The 520 gr Creedmoor bullet was of course paper patched with a round flat nose design 1.39" long, seems short for a Creedmoor design but that was why they worked in a 1 in 19 twist barrel. Now as we all know books old and new can contain mistakes but in this case I verified all the dimensions by measuring factory loaded original cartridges that I have in my collection. Bobw
bobw
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

bobw wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 pm "In the handloaders manual of cartridge conversions" by John J Donnelly on page 575 44-77 Sharps & Remington there is a drawing that shows a base to point of shoulder dimension of 1.56" and a neck length of.480" for both cartridges. On page 579 the 44-90 Remington necked shows the base to point of shoulder as 1.70" with a neck length of.630". Clearly showing a larger body capacity helping allow the 90 grain charge as well as the longer neck. This cartridge was the 44-90 Remington Special bn 2 7/16". On page 581 the dimensional drawing of the Sharps (44-90/ 44-105) same case as a base to point of shoulder as 1.89" and neck lgth of.515" of the 2 5/8" case. The 520 gr Creedmoor bullet was of course paper patched with a round flat nose design 1.39" long, seems short for a Creedmoor design but that was why they worked in a 1 in 19 twist barrel. Now as we all know books old and new can contain mistakes but in this case I verified all the dimensions by measuring factory loaded original cartridges that I have in my collection. Bobw
Yes, the final .44-90 was longer at both shoulder and neck vs. the first couple variations.
Originally the .44-77 and it's fuller version as a 90 gr. were called the .44-77 Rem-Sharps Bottleneck. But that didn't last long as both companies seemed to want a proprietary cartridge, so they became two different chambers and cartridges.