Pistol primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Pistol primers

Post by semtav »

Have any of you dedicated pistol primers users done an accuracy comparison between under primer wads and resized primer pockets?
bpcr shooter

Re: Pistol primers

Post by bpcr shooter »

I did under primer wads with LR vs LP primers and no wad, the LP was still better. Ive never ran an under primer wad with a LP tho...

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You are asking for TOP SECRET information in an open forum?

Are you one of the few people that continue to vote Democrat?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I mean, that is not something that you would leave in a cardboard box out in the garage next to your wife's corvette.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

desert deuce wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:54 pm I mean, that is not something that you would leave in a cardboard box out in the garage next to your wife's corvette.
Haha!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:53 pm You are asking for TOP SECRET information in an open forum?

Are you one of the few people that continue to vote Democrat?
Actually it was your post from a few months back that caused this questioning of sanity.

Never had to worry about it when I was shooting them in the 40-82 cause all the cases were resized for pistol primers.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Oxymoron, shooting a 40-72 and questioning sanity :lol:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

40-82, even worse.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Jonny, now take note. Remember the part about missing a few cogs. Gets the wrong caliber and tries to cover it up.

The 40-82 was only a reference to a past life.
I'm now talking about 45 2 7/8
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

45 2 7/8ths, now? Are we slipping into the Freudian realm old chap?

Or was the 40-82 bromance just a harbinger of things evolving.

I think you may be worth saving but you need to distance yourself from the landfills as a start.

A vacation to Arizona in the early spring may be just the ticket to start you off on a reformed track. :wink:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Could we get you two on a stage and charge admission? I'll bet the BPTRF could make good use of such a prodigious gate.
Limber Up!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I would love to see DD and Semtav shoot side by side on the same squad. Or have one spot for the other! And record the banter.
kw
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You know kwilliams, Luke and others, I thought your wish would come true this year, Feb 2024. Sounded like SEMTAV and maybe even Cody Smith would attend the shoot-a-pallosa at Ben Avery.

We even went to the extra effort of notifying Ben Avery Staff of a SPECIAL need for a SPECIAL chooter from Montana. They said do you mean shooter, and I replied no, I mean chooter and I do mean SPECIAL NEEDS chooter.

The Staffer admitted he was puzzled and asked me to explain what a chooter was and what the SPECIAL NEED is? :?

Well I thought for a minute and asked, "have you ever been in a public bathroom and noticed that the inside back and sides of the bowl and under the seat are splattered?" He replied, "yes?" And I said, " well, the choo sound is gas and the tur sound is not." Then he said, "OK, got it."

"What about the special need," he queried?

"Well," I answered, "We will need a dedicated port-a-pottie with a sign that reads Out House to avoid confusion as to the purpose." :roll:

"Why a port-a-pottie"? he asked. "Because it will have a dedicated purpose for the exclusive use by the Chooter. It is a very well vented small space and has a low resonance quality that muffles inner sounds such as gas under pressure, conversely the public toilets are just that, public, a much larger space and as such the gaseous quality and sounds would affect more people over an extended amount of time. Moreover, we can place the Out House so it would be down wind and away from the occupied part of the firing line." :D

Then I said, "But don't worry. We will provide the Glade mist, handy wipes, Hazardous Materials sign and Out House plaque." :mrgreen:

He then reluctantly agreed to provide the port-a-pottie, and what he really meant was the Out House. Geez, forgot to mention the corn cobs.

I had resigned myself to spotting for said chooter and helping him adjust to civilization for the week, BUT!

Then after all that, guess who was a NO SHOW? :cry:
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Back to the topic:

I have used LP in 32-40 for years but not larger calibers and am wondering if the paper wad under the primer makes it more flush since the deep set LP may be a concern with a Borchardt which has to drop a bit to retract the FP.

I lucked out a couple of weeks ago at the local gun show were a vendor put out a case of Winchester LPs for $250 right as I walked up. Followed by two cases of 209s for $175 each.
semtav

Post by semtav »

The whole purpose of the under primer was with pistol primers is to raise the primer.
I've done it both ways in the past, but never a back to back comparison with same cartridge/ rifle.

I'd hate to modify a bunch of cases only to find out I'm not good enough to tell the difference.

Remington large pistol primers were $75/1000 in town last time I looked.