40-70 SS full length sizing die

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TAA

40-70 SS full length sizing die

Post by TAA »

My (150) cases have been shot since 2010. I think the bofy has been gradually growing to the extent that I wish I had one of those special Sharps camming tools. Cases are Hornady 405 Winchester.

Is there a preferred brand of full length sizing die I should pursue?

Thanks!

Tom
Randy Bohannon

Re: 40-70 SS full length sizing die

Post by Randy Bohannon »

There’s a set of RCBS 40-70 S.S. dies on eBay a few days ago, they are my preferred dies for the 40-70 S.S.as Redding dies over work my brass.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

There’s actually several sets.
TAA

Post by TAA »

Thanks, Randy!

I do have an older RCBS FL sizing die. However, it barely affects the case. I was hoping to find a different one that has more influence on the case.

Tom
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

The Redding dies will do that, I only use the expander die with a Buffalo Arms custom expander for greasers.Are you having chambering issues with the 405 Win. brass ?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I’m sure you already checked but how are they for length. When my cases stretch they get hard to chamber.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Trimming to length should fix the stretching issue and ensuring a dry chamber for every shot. Jamison brass is the only brass I’ve never had a problem with. Is your rifle’s chamber cut for the 405 Win. brass ?
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

If you are asking me than no on the 405 brass but my 95 occasionally stretches a case and trimming fixes it also.
I blowtube so don’t have moisture issues much.
I mostly get stretch with new brass or right after annealing.
I cut off a sizing die so as not to size the neck and some high pressure loads need bumping with it occasionally.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
TAA

Post by TAA »

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys!

Over time, my cases gradually increased in length. Last fall I annealed and trimmed all of them. Just recently I trial chambered some empty cases. Some would "almost go in" while some stopped about 1/4" out. So length is not a problem. I ran the bad actirs through the RCBS die and there was no change so I suspect more effective case sizing is needed.

Tom
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

TAA,

I've not had the problem with my .405 Hornady cases. I'm using an older RCBS FL die.

Have you tried full-length sizing them? If not, probably any sizer will do the job.

On other calibers, I've had the occasional case that has the same symptoms as yours.

One solution I've used with a .40-65 with a tight chamber was to put a smaller shell holder in the press, back out the FL sizer die 1/8", remove the deprimer, run a case into the die (lube first), and then tap it out with a brass rod or a 3/8" bolt. Try it in your rifle, then turn in the die 1 turn, repeat until the case chambers properly. In my case, the .45-70 cases I was using were slightly too large immediately in front of the rim, and pushing the case further into the die sized the base.

If you want to discuss further, pm you phone number and I'll call you.

Clarence
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Also freshly annealed cases will not be slick like cleaned cases. And may just be dragging because of lack of lubercation. Wipe one with an oily rag and try it.
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I would be interested in where the case is fitting too tight. Use a magic marker and blacken a problem case, then chamber it to see if & where it rubs the marker off.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

That is also a good idea and a cheap solution
Dean Becker
MYWEIGH scale merchant
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

I gather from your opening post that these 150 cases chambered without issue and have now become problematic ? My sons 40/ 70 ST has run primarily on BACo converted Krag brass without issue but I did get hold of 100 Hornady 405 W. cases some years back to try. Great brass but most ( not all mind you ) ..were binding down around the head area about 3/8" or so up from the rim. I already had the Redding '40/70 Shiloh' dies at the time. I was given some good advice at the time with regard using Redding sizing wax and full length sizing to start off with.. which is not my usual 'first step' with new brass. This fixed a few but in general I had to turn the cases agains some very fine emery paper ..just in that area of the case to get them to chamber. Success in the end but with the thicker neck walls, I've chosen to keep these for paper patch now. Once you've established where they are catching/ rubbing.. then perhaps a run through a Redding sizer may restore them to workable tolerances again ?. If its not a case length issue.. and the cases were working previously, it does seem odd though. I find once my brass is fire formed I only focus on the neck area. The marker idea is sound and is pretty much how I was advised to establish the 'binding' point on my .405 cases at the time.
J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "