Pistol primers

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Pistol primers

Post by desert deuce »

May be an anomaly, but, just seated some Rem 2 1/2 primers in R-P cases Monday, seated to stop and only about .003" below flush, similar results with CCI-300 primers in Starline brass, shot them both today. Good results, deep primer indent by firing pin in two 40-65 rifles, no perforations.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

semtav wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:47 pm Jonny, now take note. Remember the part about missing a few cogs. Gets the wrong caliber and tries to cover it up.

The 40-82 was only a reference to a past life.
I'm now talking about 45 2 7/8
Starting to think that there’s more than one “special needs” person around here….
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

There was, in fact, a porta-pottie set up on the range this year…around the 600 yard line? I wondered what that thing was out there for, now I know.
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 5:38 pm

Then after all that, guess who was a NO SHOW? :cry:
You'll never let me live that down will you DD.

You'll be happy to know that my adult supervisor has granted me a pass for a 2 week foray next winter.

Unfortunately it came with the stipulation that I supervise an earlier foray with said adult prior to the use of my pass. I will take lots of pictures and turn them in to slide form so I can share with you all the fun places I go if I make it to that warm state next winter.

On another note, received the bottles of blue pills you sent. Surprised they are able to keep lead hard so it doesn't soften over time. Had to laugh at your story of accidently dropping one in you lead pot while trying to take it during a casting sessions one evening. We do seem to discover many things in life quite by accident.
Unfortunately, they seemed to make the lead too hard and I started seeing flakes of lead on my wiping patches.
I will send the rest of the bottle back, as I have no other need for them.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Well, my friend, it was at least worth a try. But, I know too well the complications involved with too hard. While it may sound great to the uninitiated the reality is quite a different story.

Hopefully, your two week pass centers around the last day of March through the ninth day of April 2025. Be advised, commercial or improvised local housing must be secured at least six months in advance for that time frame.

Upon your personal appearance my joy will have no bounds, in spite of the disappointment this year. The anticipation is mounting, again.

The preapproval for the issuance of your nonimmigrant visitor visa into Arizona has been assured and paid for. You can thank me later. :D
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:02 am

Hopefully, your two week pass centers around the last day of March through the ninth day of April 2025.
What the H!!!!!!!!
Last I looked it was scheduled for the first of March!!!
Had a whole contingent of paperpatchers contemplating that early date.
Now what am I going to tell them.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

You had a whole contingent of paper patchers? The operative word is had. Past tense.

You should know by now that I have a very effective spy network designated to ferret out such cowardly low life conspiracies. What else should be expected of the dreaded diaper brigade. :P

Fear not, in your case at least, I won't hold a grudge, this time. The insurrection was expected and reliable informants were prepositioned.

Just waiting on Ben Avery to memorialize the date change in stone before formal announcement which should come by May 20th.

You should feel extra special as you were among the first to know. No fawning please. Cash or in-kind donations will help defray Event expenses.

And, considering the probability that no kindness shall go unpunished, I am fully prepared for any backlash. (Think twice before you poke the bear)

It was a decision voted on by those that do show up and shoot the Desert International. It is after all run by shooters FOR shooters. And, as you can imagine, those that do not show up and shoot are not eligible to vote. Just another one of those facts of life. :mrgreen: Tough Love at it's best! :D
Luke

Post by Luke »

I don't let my wife read stuff like this, lest she not let me out to play with the cool kids.
Limber Up!
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

March/April now? Those two months are my busiest time of the year, shoveling snow and keeping the fireplace fed!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 pm

It was a decision voted on by those that do show up and shoot the Desert International. It is after all run by shooters FOR shooters. And, as you can imagine, those that do not show up and shoot are not eligible to vote. Just another one of those facts of life. :mrgreen: Tough Love at it's best! :D
Ahhh yes, the ugliness of a pure democracy!!!

No doubt it will be a better fit for the masses.
Would even be better for my housing situation as the owner will be home calving and getting ready to seed.

Rest assured, my name will be on the roll, but the score may be similar to yours of recent.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

semtav wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:22 am
desert deuce wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:02 am

Hopefully, your two week pass centers around the last day of March through the ninth day of April 2025.
What the H!!!!!!!!
Last I looked it was scheduled for the first of March!!!
Had a whole contingent of paperpatchers contemplating that early date.
Now what am I going to tell them.

It was scheduled for the end of January and the beginning of February. The vote was taken and I believe most of the participants gave kindly consideration to the plight of our Wyoming/Montana/Dakota living brothers who may find it impossible to drive out of states at the end of January. Are you saying the January dates are better for you?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

SEMTAV wrote: Rest assured, my name will be on the roll, but the score may be similar to yours of recent.

I find it impossible to deceive, believe it or not, anyone that I am not distraught over the news that you will not be allowed to venture forth. What a shame.

Unfortunately, I was prevented from shooting since August 2024 until yesterday due to multiple limiting injuries to the same arm which prevented me from assuming either the prone position or the seated bench position and especially from enjoying the pleasant sensation of 90 grains of Black Powder recoiling against my shoulder. However, in spite of such handicap reported to the Target Building Detail on time in January even though handicapped.

But of course, I was rewarded handsomely by being able to watch the Don & Blair show up close for seven consecutive days and look over Johnny V's shoulder in the same time frame while he and his rifle ventured forth at Mid range and Long range targets. So actually, the handicap ended up being a blessing in disguise. :D

What yesterday at the range revealed is that with clenched teeth and sufficient arm and shoulder padding I may be able to endure a 40 shot silhouette match with a fairly heavy, by weight, 40-65 caliber rifle. Not yet anything with more satisfying recoil capabilities.

And YES, just received confirmation that the dates for the 2025 Desert International Event will be April 1-8, 2025.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Johnny V wrote: There was, in fact, a porta-pottie set up on the range this year…around the 600 yard line? I wondered what that thing was out there for, now I know.

Very observant Johnny V., and, the logic applied was that somewhere between firing from 500 yards and reporting to the 600 yard line that facility may be needed. Did you also notice that it was mounted on a trailer, located West of the established firing lines and down wind from the prevailing SE flow?

Frankly, it is remarkable to what extent the DI staff will go to in accommodating one Chooter.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

desert deuce wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:42 pm Johnny V wrote: There was, in fact, a porta-pottie set up on the range this year…around the 600 yard line? I wondered what that thing was out there for, now I know.

Very observant Johnny V., and, the logic applied was that somewhere between firing from 500 yards and reporting to the 600 yard line that facility may be needed. Did you also notice that it was mounted on a trailer, located West of the established firing lines and down wind from the prevailing SE flow?

Frankly, it is remarkable to what extent the DI staff will go to in accommodating one Chooter.
Well, actually, it’s more than one. I did in fact, avail myself of that facility one morning while I was watching the sun come up. And thankfully the placement did in fact work with the prevailing wind coming from the east keeping any functified smell away from all the shooters!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 5:32 pm

I find it impossible to deceive, believe it or not, anyone that I am not distraught over the news that you will not be allowed to venture forth. What a shame.

Do not mistake the meanings of may and will.

Things are slowly changing in life , and with what I have been dealing with the last few days re the pic I sent you, I fully intend to enjoy a little more free time. Ammo will be loaded and ready, housing will be arranged, winter chores will be done, vehicle will be loaded and ready.

You will be happy to know that I may substitute a 45-100 Wesson #1 for my 40-82 Borchardt for the close range matches. Provided of course I can get all Kim W's drool wiped off of it by then!!