case trimming

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

vikingsword

case trimming

Post by vikingsword »

I recently acquired 150 45 basic cases for a 45-100 I'm building and I was wondering about what would be the best way of removing the bulk of the extra brass apart from using a hack saw? I can't afford to ruin any of them thru trial and error. Wes
Nuclearcricket

Re: case trimming

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Most likely the 2 fastest ways will be either the small cut off saw that harbor freight sells or the Forester vertical power trimmer they sell. You can use that in a drill press or milling machine. If using a power trimmer in a mill or drill press I would trim them close and finish them with a hand powered trimmer. I think you will get better consistency by finishing the trim by hand.
Sam
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

2 inch chop saw with a 3d printed jig to hold the cases. Ebay has both of them cheap.
bobw

Post by bobw »

What kind of case trimmer do you have? Get on the backorder list with starline for 2.6" bobw
bobw
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I use one of the Harbor Freight mini chop saws with 2" blade. I made a block by drilling a 1/2" hole in a wood block, and then cutting the block in half to give the cases a place to rest and hold easily. I clamp the block to the base of the chop saw to get the rough length and then just set a case in the block and push it until the rim stops at the edge of the block.
I can cut them off in just seconds, and get through 100 cases in about 5 minutes easily.
vikingsword

Post by vikingsword »

Thanks guys, but it looks like I may not need to go thru this procedure at all as I've found someone who is willing to trade me straight across for the same amount of factory 2.6 cases. They are not Starline, but are stamped HDS, which I think were made by RCBS. Anyone have an opinion on this brand of case? Thanks, Wes