New Sharps Owner

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Guncotton

New Sharps Owner

Post by Guncotton »

Just like to say hi, I'm a new sharps owner and must say it's great to shoot. It's a C-sharps 45-2.1". I know it's not a Shiloh but it's a fine rifle nun the less. Personally I think both companys offer world class examples of the Sharps rifle. At the moment I only use white powder but I am giving some thought to trying black powder. I also have a marlin cowboy in the same caliber half the weight but 4 times the punishment to shoot. So I hope no ones offended with me lerking about and asking questions.
MRW

Post by MRW »

Guncotton, the C. Sharps is a great rifle I hear, I own a #3 shiloh sporter and also a Marlin 45-70. have fun shooting both. Using 60 gr of 2F Goex in the Shiloh with a Lee mold 500 gr govt bullet. Have been trying some triple 7 in the Marlin with fairly good accuracy at 50 yds so far. This is a wonderful site but I only post infrequently.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Just as MRW told you, the C-Sharps is a fine rifle. And as you will find, not everyone who posts and/or reads on this Forum shoots Shilohs. I happen to have two Shilohs, a Hartford in .45/90 and a Sporter #1 in .50/90, but I've also got a Pedersoli in .45/70, a Pedretti in .45/70 (that I've given to my son-in-law), an original Trapdoor and an H&R Trapdoor Officers Model. And an 1895 Marlin in .45/70. I do shoot smokeless in the Marlin from time to time, but only gunpowder in the rest. So you see, there is a wide variety represented here.

Try shooting real gunpowder. I think if you try it you will get hooked on it. That is where these rifles really shine.
Lee Stone
Frank

Post by Frank »

Everyone is right, C Sharps does make a good rifle but no body, no body is as nice and gives the service of Shiloh. As Lee and others will tell you, if you try black powder you will stay with black powder. I shoot Goex in my Shiloh 1874 #1 Sporter 45/70, Shiloh 1863 Carbine 54 cal, Remington Rolling Block 45/70, Springfield Trapdoor 45/70, Browning BPCR 45/70, Marlin Cowboy1895 in 45/70 and a Browning Traditional Hunter 38/55. I did try smokeless in the Marlin Cowboy and the Browning Traditional Hunter 38/55 but the black was a lot more fun and accurate. All of the rifles shoot a lot better than I can but there are days I can still hold at under 2" at 100 yards and 3" at 200 yards. I was in my early 50's before someone talked me into shooting that "old time dirty black powder". Well I am pushing 66 now and only shoot smokeless in high power big game rifles and not to much of them anymore. Shooting steel with black is the big high any more. As you will notice I do like to talk about guns and black powder, one of the sign's of old age and grey hair I guess.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

For future reference and rifle purchases, pay special attention to what Frank said about, nobody is as nice or gives the service that Shiloh gives. You will find that working with the fantastic folks at Shiloh will be the finest and most enjoyable experience you can imagine. They not only make the finest rifles in the world (my rather biased opinion) but they are the nicest and most accommodating about it.
Lee Stone
MRW

Post by MRW »

Frank, I am curious what type of cast bullet are you using in your Marlin? I didnot get very good accuracy using 60 gr of 2F goex and the 405 Lee cast bullet. That and bp residue is the reason for trying the hodgson 777 powder.
Guncotton

Post by Guncotton »

LOL, you guys are to much a second Sharps has been on my mind how did you know. The one I have is a 45-70 model 74 extra fancy stock and fore arm, german silver (no actual silver init) cap, case hardened action, 34" #1 heavy octogon barrel, double set triggers, long range sight with a hadley eyecup. I been thinking about a carbine for hunting and general shooting just have not decided on the caliber or who to buy it from.
On the marlin 47-70 with BP whats the clean up like and does the action stiffen up from powder residue after a lot of shots. Tried BP ia a verginian dragoon 44mag once after about a dozen rounds I could not cock it do to fouling (real early days of handloading) perhaps thats part of the reason I'm hesitant in using BP.
Is there a special die for compressing the powder?
Remmag

Lee, Trapdoor

Post by Remmag »

Lee, In your post you mention having a H & R Trapdoor. Do you shoot it, is it a good shooter, loads,etc. ? I also have one, and was just curious. Thanks, Craig