Black magick CLANG!!!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Black magick CLANG!!!

Post by Guest »

Finally got my BP loads tuned and shooting a 2 inch group at 100. Went out to Fort Chadbourne TX range and walked the Range, a buddy and myself set up every downed Steel critter out there at 2,3,4, and 500 Meters. Chadbourne is a really nice place. I can see that that member fee will be some of the most value for the buck Ive ever spent, and I highly recommend the place to anyone who is shooting BP and is within driving dist.

Clanged my first steel critters with Blackpowder 1874 Sharps, and am now totally and helplessly hooked. Should have taken up this art YEARS AGO. I am now having fantasies about driving up to the quigley shoot this summer. I also discovered that my loads with compression and a heavy bullet begin to wear on the shoulder somewhat, and find that maybe I dont want a 45/110 or 50/90 as much as I desire to master what I have. :) Very happy to have started my sharps life with a 45/70.

unfortunately, I cant hit a turkey to save my life. Im not using match grade sights yet, and I must even confess to using my sticks on the chickens at this time. I love the way they ring and tumble into the dirt off the rail. I cant seem to hear the Rams fall due to the wind, or does the sound just not travel back to the shooter (earplugs)?

The steel critters are definately as enjoyable as the antlered ones, and much more fun than shooting holes in paper!! Many thanks to those of you on here who got me started with the Black Magick, there is nothing like it.

T.M.
Josh A.

Ft. Chadbourne

Post by Josh A. »

Blackelk, the two day shoot at Ft. Chadbourne is next month, second Sunday. Come shoot.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Black Elk, There is great satisfaction in tumbling steel critters using a bullet that you cast, a BP load you developed, in a replica/original historical rifle. I get a smile just thinking about the light changing on the ram as it starts to fall and the sound of ringing steel as the ram disappears behind the rail. Just shooting these rifles is fun, but hitting the target adds to the enjoyment and gives the shooter a sense of accomplishment. Rbump
DR308

Post by DR308 »

Black Elk: I tried my Shiloh out at distance for the first time 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for this months shoot. I REALLY got a kick out of shooting, dropping the rifle down in a cradle posistion in my left arm, reaching up and removing my ear muff from my ear, and waiting for the CLANG!!! What a gas! And when it hit, it hit with athoritie!! I have another 50 rounds loaded again for this months shoot, just don't seem like enough though. ------------ Jerry :D
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
pete

Post by pete »

I've only been to one shoot a couple of years ago with my light weight Lonestar rolling block hunting rifle. Didn't do well at all but it sure was a blast and now I have my Shiloh which I've been working on a suitable load for. When that's done I'm ready to do it more regularly. Never had so much fun hitting so few targets. I think Bumper summed it up well.

Post by Guest »

DR308, so I guess with the earmuffs on you cant hear the rams ring when they get whacked? I hear nothing. I just notice all the sudden after what must be 2 or 3 seconds that hey, that ram out there is moving...oh yes yes...its falling over backwards, big gap of light forming out there in the line...yep there it goes, oh, and look at the dust come up. Oddest thing ive ever seen. I might have to plunk one without ear plugs so i get to hear it, if my ears arent blasted and ringing from the shot. Better yet, Ill watch someone else shoot on then pull off hearing protection when i see movement out there.

Tim.
DR308

Post by DR308 »

B.E.: It will all depend on the distance of the target from you. The further away it is, the more time you will have to remove one side. I don't suggest that you try to hear the clang after you have abused your hearing with the blast first. There is time for you to reach up and pull one of your ears off to hear the clang. Try to do it on the 5 or 600 yd one. That should give you time to hear it. ------- Jerry :wink:
#3 Sporter-45/70-32" Heavy Half bbl-Bone Pack Hardening-Set Triggers-Semi Fancy Wood-Steel Butt Plate-Pewter Foretip.
Saddle Rifle-45/90,"OLD RELIABLE"
Life Member NRA-"85" Member NRA since "66"
Life Member DAV - "69"
BOLD #664
Omak Cowboy

ears

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Guy, some years back I bought a pair of the then new electronic ear muffs from Dillon. Boy are they GRRRREAT! I can hear conversations on the range, and if I crank 'em up I can hear raindrops falling on leaves!

If you can't hear the "Clang" under normal conditions, I'll bet you can if you crank up the sensitivity on the muffs. And don't worry bout getting hit with the muzzel blast. They cut out any sound louder than - I can't remember the volume, but at above safe levels and in miliseconds so you NEVER hear the painful or damaging stuff.

These things enhance your hearing beyond what is normal even for those with optimal hearing. They are so good I bought a second pair which I use in my woodshop ( routers are really loud! - as are big table saws, plainers, jointers, and other 220 volt tools) so I can hear the phone ring or listen to Rush, Hannity and whomever else. Amazing stuff.
cheers
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I agree with Omak on the electronic earmuffs. They block out the rifles blast and let you hear normal conversation and the "clang". I bought mine from Midway for less than $50. Rbump