A matter of perspective

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brant Selb

A matter of perspective

Post by Brant Selb »

It has gotten a bit slow here in the hunting section so I thought I would share a true story with you.

I did a great deal of hunting in Zimbabwe in 1989/1990 and became good friends with a Zimbabwe Professional Hunter (PH) named Chris Ferreria. Chris was quite renouned as a hunter of "heavy" game and did PAC (problem animal control) for the Zimbabwe Gov't. as well as guiding sport hunters. Chris had a reputation of having ice water in his veins, he was one cool customer in a tight spot, I had heard the story of him stopping an enraged bull elephant five feet from where he stood with his Dbl. 470 nitro and the lion that died as it fell on top of him. I was with Chris when a client from Wash. State shot a 11'6" crocodile and Chris stripped to his skivvies and dived in and dragged it to shore before it could sink! Like I said, Chris had ice water in his veins. We finished the hunting season in Zimbabwe that year and I returned to my home in the Bay Area of Calif.

The next time I saw Chris was in Reno, Nevada at the Safari Club International Convention. We talked about the past hunting season and other small talk to pass the time. After a short while, Chris's new wife joined us and I asked what they were doing for the next week or so. The answer was pretty much they were "playing it by ear" so I invited them to my home in Calif. where we could visit San Francisco, go to the wine country in the Napa valley and do some wild pig hunting on a friends ranch. Chris's face turned white, his eyes seemed to get big as saucers and he said in his thick English/Zimbabwe accent, "No way am I going to that bloody Calif. with those bloody earthquakes! :lol: I guess every man has his demons and fears.

As an update on this story, Chris and his family who have lived and worked in Zimbabwe for about 150 yrs. and every white land owner I knew in Zimbabwe have had their lands and property confiscated and redistributed to the "real owners" who have plundered God's paradise on earth and wiped out the great game herds of that once fabulous country. I believe the country is now far to dangerous to visit. Chris, who without question, is the finist hunter and one of the finist men I have ever met is now living in the US, driving an eighteeen wheeler out of South Carolina.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Thanks for posting this.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." R. L. Stevenson
RMulhern

Re: A matter of perspective

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="Brant Selb"]It has gotten a bit slow here in the hunting section so I thought I would share a true story with you.

I did a great deal of hunting in Zimbabwe in 1989/1990 and became good friends with a Zimbabwe Professional Hunter (PH) named Chris Ferreria. Chris was quite renouned as a hunter of "heavy" game and did PAC (problem animal control) for the Zimbabwe Gov't. as well as guiding sport hunters. Chris had a reputation of having ice water in his veins, he was one cool customer in a tight spot, I had heard the story of him stopping an enraged bull elephant five feet from where he stood with his Dbl. 470 nitro and the lion that died as it fell on top of him. I was with Chris when a client from Wash. State shot a 11'6" crocodile and Chris stripped to his skivvies and dived in and dragged it to shore before it could sink! Like I said, Chris had ice water in his veins. We finished the hunting season in Zimbabwe that year and I returned to my home in the Bay Area of Calif.

The next time I saw Chris was in Reno, Nevada at the Safari Club International Convention. We talked about the past hunting season and other small talk to pass the time. After a short while, Chris's new wife joined us and I asked what they were doing for the next week or so. The answer was pretty much they were "playing it by ear" so I invited them to my home in Calif. where we could visit San Francisco, go to the wine country in the Napa valley and do some wild pig hunting on a friends ranch. Chris's face turned white, his eyes seemed to get big as saucers and he said in his thick English/Zimbabwe accent, "No way am I going to that bloody Calif. with those bloody earthquakes! :lol: I guess every man has his demons and fears.

As an update on this story, Chris and his family who have lived and worked in Zimbabwe for about 150 yrs. and every white land owner I knew in Zimbabwe have had their lands and property confiscated and redistributed to the "real owners" who have plundered God's paradise on earth and wiped out the great game herds of that once fabulous country. I believe the country is now far to dangerous to visit. Chris, who without question, is the finist hunter and one of the finist men I have ever met is now living in the US, driving an eighteeen wheeler out of South Carolina.

Brant[/quote]

Brant

Having read much history of South Africa....when all of the "redistributing" troubles were going on.....I thought that the Boer Blood would kick in and that those people would NEVER SURRENDER their property without a MAJOR FIGHT! But....I was proved wrong! The USA and Western Europe did everything that they could to "cut the gonads" out of those people and in the final analysis....I guess the Boers figured it was a lost battle! Now.....a country that was once very productive is.....for all practical purposes nothing but a stinking and decaying OUTHOUSE....once again!! :cry: :cry:
Brant Selb

Post by Brant Selb »

Sharpsman,

You've got that right, it is now an outhouse or worse, one can at least put an outhouse to good use! :D I spent two yrs. hunting and guiding in Zim. in 1989 and 1990, at the time the exchange rate was 3 Zim. dollars to one US dollar, I have read that the exchange rate in the past year is in the neighborhood of 100,000 Zim. to one US dollar. I had the opportunity? to purchase a 35,000 acre ranch/hunting concession in 1990 for $72,000. My wife who is a great deal more practical than me talked me out of the deal. That ranch has now been seized along with all the other white owned land in the Kadoma area and redistributed to the people who have supported Robert Mugabe during his rein of terror, the people who settled the land and made it what it was received zero compensation for their efforts. I suspect, that it would be akin to giving the Wasserberger ranch back to the Sioux or whoever else was living there 150 years ago. Creates a real mess with no real winners. I just consider myself very fortunate to have been able to experience it as it once was if only for a brief point in time. Those are two years that I will forever cherish because, there is no going back.

Brant
Just hit the next one!
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

I have a friend who was born in Zimbabwe along with his wife. He's now a retired Major of the British army. He was telling me that if Zimbabwe was as it was when he was growing up that's were he would be living now and not Great Britain. All his friends and the familys he knew that had farms went from being well off to pennyless. As was stated the country is now a shit hole with all those great farms worthless and useless.

Kelley O.
Long Knife

Post by Long Knife »

A Former white Rhodisian told me

" You can take the man out of the bush, but you cannot take the bush out of the man"--- reference to the "indigenous peoples" and what they did once given all the "modern world amenities" on a silver platter, thanks to Jimmy Penut Brain.

Our beloved state department has refused arms to the patriots (mostly blacks) whom want to remove the blood sucking pigs now in control. They told those folks, "you need to work through the political process", as if Mugabe actually took control through "legitimate" means.

Just remember, it will be comming to your home state soon!!!!!!!!!
"Shoots today, Kills tomorrow"
The Green River Scalping and Joy Society
flatwater

Namibia- Zimbabwe

Post by flatwater »

Namibia will be the next country that all whites will be driven from. THe Namibian Land Redistribution project is well underway, and this year the Nam Land Minister visited Zimbabwe and their "President" Robert Mugabe, and was indoctrinated on how easy it is to steal land. Unfortunately, whites the world over feel so guilty about the way that their ancestors dealt with indiginous people that they wont do anything to stop it from happening. Namibia was desert, never inhabited full time by anyone until colonists came and drilled wells. Now the game thrives and the land is productive, but it never really belonged to anyone in the past. A few bushmen passed thru on occasion. Native tribes that moved into areas after the colonists, now want the land "back" BTW-last year the new government of South Africa legislated that no white student can attend the public universities. You wont find that in any US newspaper. Apparently it will take awhile before all races learn that descrimination in either direction is wrong.................If you want to hunt Afica, go now....Flatwater Bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life