Bringing legally killed animals into Calif.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Long Knife

Post by Long Knife »

Highwalbo

I really hope it does not come into play, or the BATFEECES agency will come and then that deer will become way more expensive.

Long Knife
"Shoots today, Kills tomorrow"
The Green River Scalping and Joy Society
Scota4570

Post by Scota4570 »

" all brain and vetebral column removed before being brought in."

So If I kill a huge buck and want it mounted I am supposed to saw the horns off?? Utter stupidity. I can not bring home backstrap chops??

There are many back roads around the Ag. check points, use them. It is also unwise to strap dead deer to your hood or have them visible in any way. It is a good idea to shower, shave, put on clean clothes and wash the truck. Put away all visible signs of being a hunter. Many of the officers are not hunters. They see you as a throwback and creton. Why make yourself a target for harassment?

Perhaps some rainbow, pier 39, and enviornmental bumper stickers and pastel shirts to go with the California licence plate? I am pretty sure no officers would mistake you for hunters! :shock: Do not put the stickers on the front bumber. IF you do the locals in diners and such will give you a hard time.

A friend of my fathers had the wife play that joke on him. She applied a "gay is the way" bumper sticker on the front bumper. They almost got beat up in a Winnamucka diner, and no idea why.
decook2k

Post by decook2k »

Scota4570 I dont think the Game Warden or Cop has an interest in harrassing anyone just cause they're hunters. What they are trying to do is stop the spread of CWD. The antlers are not part of the "vetebral column", or better said in english the backbone. If you are going to do a wallmount then you would be caping the animal so the backbone would not be a part of this anyway. Now I have to admit, I have never tried to remove the brain of a deer...

The backstraps are also not part of the vetebral column. That's just plain ol good meat. After I harvest a deer I quarter it, remove backstraps, remove tenders, and if it is worth my while i bone out the neck. Backbone, guts and inedables except what I have to keep as legal proof and tagging stay in the field. All the rest goes into the cooler on ice.

I remember the old days when I saw deer draped across the hood of a (hot) car. My GAWD I cant think of a better way to destroy meat in as quick a fashon as possible.
Scota4570

Post by Scota4570 »

"After I harvest a deer I quarter it, remove backstraps,"

I am personally OK with filleted backstraps. My father, for instance, prefers to make chops. He thinks fillet of backstrap is wastefull. He actually gets upset when I want to bone them out.

Not everyone can do a good job of caping a head. It is time consumeing and tedious at best. I do not want to spend my valuable field time sitting in the snow caping a deer head with my pocket knife.

As for nerve tissue coming into the state, I don't see a problem. Bury it or toss it in the trash. There is no need to slop it over the countryside.

How is it that a living deer can contract the prion from dead deer brains?? As far as I know they ar not cannibals.