Bear hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have shot blacks on salmon that stunk like crazy and could not eat them. The best were in the spring after they got on vegetation and lost there plug. It cleans their system out. I made a dandy bear tooth necklace for my kids with one. Just saw an article in Fur-Fish and Game of how to make a bear claw necklace. May try that if I can find one of the old hides I have laying around some where here. I think the tooth necklace is much cooler though.
I once tried to shoot a black out of the back of a canoe without getting out and standing on the lake bottom. Missed him clean at not more than 75 yards. Tried to time it to shoot at the top of a swell in Tustimena lake and foiled the shot. Not to smart sometimes.
Saw a nice 9 foot brown above the fox river on the edge of the Harding glacier at the end of Tustimena once a while back. Man what a brute he was. Came within a 100 yards of the tent about dusk until he got our wind and took off like a shot.
I may pop one again this fall when moose hunting if the oppertunity presents itself. Could use some rendered oil for guns and bullet lube to try. M. DeLand