What a difference a year makes.....

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

What a difference a year makes.....

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Men,

Here I sit at 5:00 a.m. coffee in hand, just got thru loadin' 20 more hunting bullets as I am running low. I been coming in every evening and going and taking 3-4 shots at my deer target in varying light conditions and off a fence post rest, I can easily shoot into a 4" hole at 125 yards. I am really becoming "as one" with my Shiloh and open sights. My only regret is that I don't have any old timey hunters around me to share the sighting info with.

I have filed a 20- degree flat angled towards the breech and this is my 80-125 sight, this is easily within a 4" circle at the listed ranges. Then I have the bottom of the sight (penny) which is good out to 175 yards without flipping up the ladder. These distances are perfect for my honey hole in South MS!

I don't know why, but it seems I have gotten mad at the deer again, kinda like I used to be. I hope it holds out til January as this will just about guarantee a freezer full of venison.

I wish all you Shiloh Sharps hunters a lot of success and all the luck you need.

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

I hear you Brother.

Good Luck to ya!

HH
eagle1

Post by eagle1 »

Hey, David B. I'm from the ole river town of Natchez. There's a 600 yard range over near McComb that I'm planning to join in the near future so I can do some serious shooting. Currently I'm shooting a 45-70 but I'm looking for a barrel in 45-110 for an upgrade. If you get over that way maybe we can get together and swap tips on the Sharps and long distance shooting.

First team, Stand fast.
NAHC life member
NRA member
BASS life member
eagle1

Post by eagle1 »

BTW, the pic was shot at Woodman's Spring. That has a 100 yard range and is part of the Homochitto Forest. It does have overhead cover and shooting benches.
First team, Stand fast.
NAHC life member
NRA member
BASS life member
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Eagle1,

I am in Natchez today and I shoot at Bogue CHitto MS during the spring and fall matches. We would love to have you join in. Also, a 110 barrel for your Sharps might not be such a pleasant upgrade, we shoot 72 round matchs and the recoil might get old to say the least!

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
eagle1

Post by eagle1 »

Thanks for the info, David. The recoil I don't worry about. If you want to see what I mean, #1-try the Hornaday Leverevolution 45-70. Stiff to say the least, but that's what I'm using in my Sharps. I'm pretty well used to it.#2- if you want to really be punished try the 458 Lott.

:? :shock: :cry:
First team, Stand fast.
NAHC life member
NRA member
BASS life member