Thanks!

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omak Cowboy

foolish expendatures

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Well gang, under the heading of extravant toys for us older boys and foolish expendatures....

Let's see, my wife just buried about $10,000 in fish. She likes to tinker with the pond chemestry and I think her tinkering went a little too far this time. So she came back from a trip to find five fish taking a dirt nap.

I an ignore my guns for months and they don't die..nor rust for that matter!

Now she hates my wood shop as I've got a whole lot of toys down there...but I can build just about anything. Just finished all new trim and doors for the interior of the house and next up are new cabinets for the baths. Figure I've saved just a little over what she lost in fish...but I'll NOT bring THAT up..domestic tranquality being with it is and all.

After the baths a new kitchen is next. Hmm wonder if I can parly that into a Furgeson or another Shiloh?

Still haven't had time to shoot my new gun but if'n I had another Shiloh I think it would be a gun for my son. Since he is only 8, and emotionally not ready to shoot as his attention span is too short for an afternoon of shooting, I've got a couple of years yet.

Think I'd like a 45 65
#1 sporter
Checkered
pewter tip
presentation wood
french finish
Lucinda's hammer
never did get an engraving patter from Shiloh so I don't know that pattern yet, though I think it would be fun to have an engraveing of the two of us - my son and myself on reverse sides of the frame. Something for generations to come and for him to look at and remember when I'm gone.
I don't know yet about the butt, probably a shotgun though I like the old curved style like my 1886 has.
maybe just for the hellofit a scope.

Whadda ya think?
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Omak:

Since your fish are pushing up daisy's, the least you could do is buy another Shiloh in their honor. ;-)

The "Lucinda's" hammer and French finish should look superb. That's what will be adorning my "first born."

What type of scope do you like the most? The longer one is what was on Tom Selleck's rifle at the show. I shouldered it and dreamed. It was nice, and looks killer also.;

I haven't seen engraving of people. Do they turn out really looking like they are suppose to?

I know the shotgun butt is the most comfortable, but if your not going to shoot it over a long string of shots, heck the rifle butt stock is really nice looking and still period correct.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Lee:

My better half is a Doll collector also. She doesn't do the antique, but enjoys the OOAK (one of a kind) They are usually based on a Barbie, then they repaint and make clothing and props for them. I have to admit the detail in some of them is striking.

How many does she have? I don't even want to know. (I'm not sure she does either) At least she passionately collects something, so she understands me and doesn't give me a hard time about it.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Hello Texas..... If you would like to see a picture of an engraved Sharps then this should do just fine http://www.coon-n-crockett.org/shiloh1874sharps.jpg if it comes up on your puter like mine just point at it and a funny little box comes up....click the box and it comes up full screan....if this works you will be impressed!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Capt. Call

You were exactly right. Very impressive. I saved it to disk so I could revisit it from time to time. :-)

Do you know where any more pictures are of this quality?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have been drooling over that picture for years now. A copy of it resides in a permanent file in my computer. It has a little to do with the fact that the Hartford I have on order is a .45/90.
Lee Stone
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

that is quite a rifle but it is all scratched up even more than mine and way more artistically done than sagebrush scratches
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

Well Texas I don't know of any more pics like those but if you want a real hoot on gun engraving check this out.... http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm ... Point at information with your courser---then click Frogmoor Ballard--the old and the new--- that is somthing special! Everyone hear needs this spot in their favorites---you can spend hours looking around!
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

OOOOO-yea while we are at it---this is a good place to get the must read--How Far Will MY Sharps Shoot--Mike Venturino---anybody that owns or has ordered a Shiloh that hasen't read this---Get on the Deck and give Gunny 25!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Capt Call:

Thanks for the tip on the "Frogmoor". Neat gun, neat story. Great Engraving!
I had never heard of it before.

Thanks a lot,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Omak, the engraving on Lucinda's gun is pattern #12. That's what I ordered on my LRE. Give the girls a call at Shiloh and I'm sure they'll be glad to send you an engraving list. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much on engraving but after getting to see Lucinda's gun I just had to have it. It looks really nice on the French Grey receiver.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Rdurk

Post by Rdurk »

Buckeye. What's the added production time for a basic pattern engraving? Just curious. I have #1 on order with Bone & Charcoal CC .. the engraved French Gray is .. wow! Rather than hold it up .. I might just go ahead and get the Gray on my next one! Good Shootin!
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Rdurk, I ordered my LRE April 29th 2003 and it hasn't gone into production yet. Talked to Phyllis the other day and she doubts I'll have it in time for Kenny's shoot in May. Not sure how much of that time is for engraving. Luckily I have the 45-70 Hartford to use in the meantime. I can't imagine having to wait four years to get a Shiloh. A year is plenty long enough.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

The Bone and Charcoal will be my next purchase. It will not have any engraving though. The engraving on the French Grey is awsome and as Lucinda pointed out to me it looks pretty plain unless you have engraving on it. The Bone and Charcoal finish on the other hand has a lot of character to it without engraving in my opinion.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

BuckeyeShooter,

But the gold inlayed initials within the gold inlayed oval sure looks magnificent on the Bone Charcoal pack finish. That is what I am getting on both of the orders I currently have at Shiloh. You might want to give that some thought. And they have a lot of different fonts you can choose from. One of the fonts on the sheet of choices that Ellen faxed to me was quite similar to my own signature, so that was what I selected for both rifles.
Lee Stone