opinion on the best reloading set up

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

If anyone is looking for a Corbin-S press I have one for sale asking $150.00 plus shipping. I used it for reloading not swagging. It's a heavy duty press as HKR said.

Kelley O. 8)
Minnesota AL

Press

Post by Minnesota AL »

Kelley,

I've often thought about swaging and would be interested in the Press. Any dies to go with (I know you said no swaging done)

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

KO: if Minnesota Al changes his mind, I WILL buy it.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

No die's. Just the press.

Kelley O. 8)
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

KO: w/ or w/o dies, I'll still BUY it!
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Minnesota AL

Press

Post by Minnesota AL »

Probably regret it later, but rather than have it catch dust for half a year, Ray, go ahead, I'm out.

No need to ask if I'm sure. I'm out.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

k.O.: do we have a deal?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Ray,

You bet.

Kelley O. 8)
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Not having read everything here, I'll just say how I'm going to end up getting my setup done.

Loading rifle cartridges, I prefer manual presses, but the single stage I have now is a PITA. I don't want to have to check my dies every time I swap them out, so I will be ditching the single stage for a turret type press. I should be able to get by on four positions with swappable heads, so the Lee Turret press looks like a winner to me. Plus it's the least expensive. (I know Lee may not be the BEST, but it WORKS, and that's good enough) Swap that onto my little work table (apartment life - no big bench and garage to work in!) Set up a sizing die, expander, compression and seating die.

I use a powder through expanding die, so I can stick my drop tube right in the top and drop my charge in. I like being able to do that, it's easy to put the end of the tube into the 'bucket' on the top of the die.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

smoke eater, MattewQ,
I also started out using a single stage press. Can't argue their strength and accuracy. But since i got into this BPRC with the 4 and sometimes 5 dies if i use the bullet seater, the single stage was indeed a big PITA and didn't make sense anymore especially since i don't full length size 45-70 cases. Unless your gonna be using it also to full length size some of the big smokeless cases for hunting, service rifle, bench rest competition or swaging wildcats, you won't regret a turret press.
IMO though, i'd go with either the Lyman or Redding. Don't let my previous post scare you all away from the Lyman Mag-II, mine just needed a little tweaking-no big deal.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I pretty well talked myself into replacing my Lyman T-Mag II set-up with a Redding T-7. The T-7 is approx. $190.00 vs the $119.00 for the T-Mag II (at Cabela's). But no one had a price listing for additional turrets so I ended up calling Redding. Redding's retail price is $69.00 vs $27.00 for the Lyman turrets. Redding gives their retailers a 30% discount. So this means the turret price is going to be somewhere between $48.00 and change and $69.00. I would need seven turrets to replace out my current set-up. I decided to stay with my T-Mag II. It is a very good press and does everything I need it to.

I just wanted to let he folks know what I found out, after having recommending the T-7. The T-7 is an outstanding turret press, and if I were starting out and therefore adding additional turrets gradually, I would probably go with it knowing what I know now. However, it's superiority is not sufficient to warrant dumping my current set-up and the resulting replacement expense.
Lee Stone
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Midsouth Shooter's Supply Co.'s 2004 Fall Catalog has the following prices listed:
T7 press, $174.47
extra turret, $40.34

TMagII press, $119.40
extra turret, $28.36
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ironsight:
You came up with some prices that are definitely better than what I found, but it would still be too much of an increase in cost to be worth the chang over for me. Thanks for your input though. I didn't think of Midsouth.
Lee Stone
woodpuppy

Post by woodpuppy »

Lee Stone & ironsight, I'm glad to have your input on this. I'm looking at the Lyman and Redding turret presses. I'll be loading .45-70 eventually, and could load .308 and .30-06 now. This seems to be the best way to do it. I like that you can load each cartridge start to finish, or perform each operation to a whole lot of brass at once. I'll leave the Lee progressive dedicated to .45acp/.40S&W/.45LC
Montana Roughrider .45-70