Carryig ammo in the field

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Scott, I've got a leather belt slide that looks like it came out of the Civil War, it holds 10 45-70 loads, but I usually only put 5 in it. Then when I start walking I put one in the chamber and have 4 in the slide. I've never had to use all of them.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Good Morning Ken!

This past year, I generally used the web belt I bought on the net. I did not fill all the loops though!

Since I got the Lyman taper crimp die, I am having less misgivings about carrying ammo. I just seat a little deeper and crimp on the front driving band.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I wear my web belt that I got from shiloh sharps that holds 40 rounds, just put in as many rounds as you need, 5,10,15. If you use a leather cartridge belt make sure you pull your cartridges out after your done hunting, if you leave them in there they will discolor and even turn you brass green with corrosion.

Stephen B
PPFC
Rickba

Ammo Carry

Post by Rickba »

Hey,
I agree with 'DAKOTASHARPS'. I know it's comforting to know all that ammo is there. I feel a little naked with just 3 rounds on me. Leftover training from my Marine Corps days. You're not going into battle. I carry 3 rounds. One for the for the rifle, and one for each front pocket. There was only one time I needed all three. As it turns out, If I would have been more patient, the first shot would have killed the buck. A buck in rut on the tail of a Doe, doesn't alway die when it's dead. :oops:
Rick
"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit to Earn Enough Money to keep my Taxes Paid".
rkwrichard

Post by rkwrichard »

I just carry a few at a time out with me in this.

I have matching holsters and money belt for a couple of my sixguns.
Last edited by rkwrichard on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That's a right smart rig there.
Just me and Big Nose Kate
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

I'm no longer much into hunting but I do have a McKeever pouch for my Springfield. It will hold 10 rounds, if you need that many, in a well protected leather pouch with fabric loops for the cases. When flipped open the cartridges present themselves for easy access and the flap is not in the way. I got mine from S&S Firearms and it is a nice piece. I think Cabela's has them. It's perfect for 45-70 and 40-65 and similar cartridges, fits easily on a belt, gives more protection than belt loops, and is very easy to access.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
rkwrichard

Post by rkwrichard »

Thanks Scott,

This will be the first year with my sharps a sporter #1 but I do hunt with a couple of other 45-70s and carry ammo a different way with them.

slide

stock cover

As you can tell I love handmade leather goods.