Reproduce Compression or Powder Weight/Volume?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Minnesota AL

Case sizing

Post by Minnesota AL »

I also am shooting slip fit bullets at this point. I get enough cases that are difficult to load that I also flare the case mouths with the standard RCBS die. I flare just enough that an empty case meets a little resistance when I slide it into the chamber by hand. I figure with the flare just meeting the chamber the case mouth is pretty much centered. I don't remove the flare - but firing seems to.

I started out with fore formed slip fit with the Trapdoors, though I would apply a slight crimp using a Lee crimp die (not a factory crimp die - that one squeexes the neck below the bullet I understand) to hold things together. It always worked great.

Over the last 2-3 years I went to various levels of neck sizing. Just amounted to extra steps with no accuarcy benefit. And I found myself setting aside quite a few cases for hunting loads, cause the expander would encounter varied degrees of resistance (inconsistent neck wall thicknesses, work hardening, sizing, or probably a combination of all three). I went back to no sizing to get away from all the inconsistency - which could be overcome by neck reaming, annealing (how often?), and the sizing - a lot of work and more equipment I don't have.

Al
Minnesota AL
Uriah SASS#53822