Quality sidearm companion for my Shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marshal Deadwood

Quality sidearm companion for my Shiloh

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

Wish a top shelf company like USFA made the 1860Army percussion.
Uberti is about as good as one can go now....I DO have a third generation Colt 1860Army...

but both lack a bit ,,,or rather I should say,,,both come short of USFA quality that USFA installs in the revolvers they DO make.

A USFA would make a fitting side arm companion for a Shiloh rifle I do believe.

What type of 19th century revolvers to you gents like/admire/own ? if I may ask ?

MD
kimwcook

Post by kimwcook »

Colt SAA w/4.75" bbl. in 45 Colt. Enough said.
Old Law Dawg
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Colt Black Powder Signature Series 3rd Model Dragoon
Colt Black Powder Signature Series 1861 Navy

Never shot either of them.
ole pizen slinger
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Marshal Deadwood

pizen

Pizen, my Colt is a Signature Series '60 Army. I HAD to shoot it. I think it was demons made me do it.

It is nice, but its not USFA quality for sure.

I have a Model P with black powder (early) frame that is a decent revolver...7 1/2 in. 45LC .... USFA makes the same model,,and is bout 100 times better quality...who knows,,,maybe I'll start me a 'revolver fund.' The Henry Nettleton model is no doubt the nicest SAA available, hands down. Has case colors comprabable to what Shiloh does on their rifles. The Ainsworth is no slouch either...I 'believe' that is the 'Custer' model ?? but,,could be mistaken,,the 'Custer' might be a model unto itself,,,,,I'm sure it would be the 'first model', however,,,,wasn't Ainsworth the inspector at the production of the first SAA's ? Ainsworth and the Custer might be the one and same USFA model,,,im off to double check now.

In any event, I'd want the blackpowder frame. That would put my SAA in a time slot parrell with the Sharps.

MD
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

I expect there were a lot of the old cap and ball revolvers around in the Sharps days. I like 'old' things. Always said I hoped to live to have 'white'hair. Have almost made it.
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
MLV

Post by MLV »

I have one of the USFA "Custer Battlefield" .45s and lucked out in getting serial #1876. It is NOT on the "for sale" list I just put out!
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Marshal Deadwood

Pizen, Mike

Pizen, I lost my hair before I gained the 'white' status...!

Mike,,yes,,the Custer Battlefield model is the one I was trying to conjur up most. That is ONE NEAT SAA ! I think that is the one I would want me own self sir. Congrats on a FINE SAA.

MD
Marshal Deadwood

oops

Opps,,just noticed you said serial # 1876 ? did you pay someone off or you just luckier than one man outta be ! :) that really is just too neat to have that serial number.

MD
MLV

Post by MLV »

MD: At the SHOT Show when they unveiled the Custer Battlefield .45 I placed an order and they asked what serial number I wanted. I said, "Well, I suppose somebody already got 1876?" They said, "No. As a matter of fact somebody asked for 1873 but not 1876."

And that's how I got it. Its a super accurate single action with bp loads, as it well should be.

MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

My side arm of choice with my Sharps is my Colt 2nd Model .44 Dragoon 2nd Generation. My second choice would be my Colt SAA .45, 4.75 barrel also a 2nd generation. The cap and ball six guns just seem to look and feel better with the Sharps, they would also be correct for the early to mid 1870's before the cartridge revolvers started to overwhelm the field late in the decade.

R,
Dennis Beckwith
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
MTAustin

Post by MTAustin »

How about a Colt SAA Artilery Model?
"Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife."
-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Marshal Deadwood

Remington

I think I read were Bill Cody carried a Remington sidearm with him in his 'hunting days', but I do not know what model or if it was percussion or cartridge conversion or a early cartridge model.

Anyone know what Remingtion he carried ?

I have an original 1858 Remington standard percussion that is mid-grade, one that is still sturdy, and can be shot without doing much damage to the collectable value of a 'pristine' piece of history.

Thanks,

MD
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

USFA use to sell cap and ball revolvers under their old name of US Patent Firearms. They were Uberti parts worked over by USPFAs and then colored and blued. Five or six years ago I called USFA and asked if they still had any ones around for sale. They said they had a few 1851 Navys they would sell, without warrenty, for $800 or so. I decided against them. People like Frontier Classic Firearms (Gary Granger) sell Uberti's that have been color case hardened by Turnbull for around $400.

I have a 7 1/2" USPFA in 45 Colt with the Uberti markings I bought in the 1990s. Great gun.

Rich
Marshal Deadwood

Rich

Yes you are right Rich, early on there was a 'partnership' between USFA and Uberti. Uberti isnt a bad gun at all, really. I'm satisfied for what a Uberti cost as to quality received. It does seem the screws are soft, they need 'slicked' up,,,but before I 'slick' up or tune, I install Wolff springs. Well on the SAA's I have, the percussion's I just worked over the factory gun as is.

USFA is entirely built in USA now, or so the factory folks there tell me when I inquired.

The recent USFA's are nothing short of top shelf.

Mike has me wanting an USFA 'Custer Battlefield' bad now ,, :shock:

I think Colt has off and on,,maybe still on, used a similar partnership with Uberti...and I was told (can't confirm ) that Colt frames are Cheklosvakian imported. Colt still may be using some Uberti manufactured materials, I just have not pursued a third generation SAA much, so I'm not positive. There are many myths, and I'm sure some truths, surrounding third gen. 'Colts.' One statement iv oft heard is to avoid a 'Colt' made when they were under the UAW union.

I wonder if Turnbull would totally do his magic to a Uberti 1860 Army Uberti ?

MD
Tallperson

Sidearms

Post by Tallperson »

I have a couple of cap and ball revolvers of various models and makes, Plus a SSA 45 in 4.75 barrel length.. The pistol that gets the most attention is a .54 cal short barreled flintlock mountain pistol... It makes nearly as big a smoke cloud as the Sharps...
Tallperson
45-120 Longrange Express 34" barrel Shoots a long way and hits 'em real hard.