Quality sidearm companion for my Shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Post by bobw »

M29-2 6 1/2" Nickle plated 44 Remington Magnum, because when I pull it out of the shoulder holster, "Business" is at hand and it is all business and even an idiot won't misidentify me as a pimp or it as anything but the REAL thing. If they had "N" framed S&W's back in the 19th century you would not of heard about the rest of them period. Just like my Shiloh being the real thing and made in 1985 its all "business" too. Happy Holidays to all. bobw
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

"Never had much use for one.."
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Marshal,

From what I've seen of Uberti's C&B, they look very good. If a gunsmith were to harden the internal parts, Turnbull were to do the case colors and have a reenactor gunsmith defarb the markings from the gun, I think you would an excellent revolver.

For a cartridge gun though, Colt now makes an excellent SAA and has the name and history. USFA makes a revolver of the same quality as a 1st generation Colt (their cylinders will drop into a 1st generation frame and parts) maybe better, but just doesn't have the historical markings, if that really matters at all! After all, Shiloh doesn't ahve the name "Sharps".

Rich
dozer

Re: Quality sidearm companion for my Shiloh

Post by dozer »

[quote="Marshal Deadwood"]Wish a top shelf company like USFA made the 1860Army percussion.

What type of 19th century revolvers to you gents like/admire/own ? if I may ask ?

MD[/quote]

Ruger old army, blue with walnut grips. Quality, yes. Exactly original, no, but then my Shiloh has a few improvements over the original too.
deerhuntsheatmeup

my

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Gents,

My sidearm for using as a finish off tool, is an H&R .22 SS. I love that thing, fun and inexpensive to shoot. And it has caused more that a few headaches for deer that were still kicking.

I am a little jealous of the nice sidearms you guys speak of, but I have a little story about my friend Le B and his favorite target pistol. We were bow hunting over a decade ago, in Jefferson Co MS and I was fortunate enuff to shoot a big smooth in the back and broke her down. Well, I could not stand the noise and watching here die slow, so I proceeded to climb down, and go cut her throat. So the next thing I know, this darn doe is almost in my watch pocket! I mean she is flailing at me with front feet every time I come at her with my knife!

Off to the camp I go walking, I get there and Lee's truck is unlocked, so I grab his custom 1911 .45 and go back to finish her off. Well, two in her forehead and she is still wanting revenge on me so I just sit down to wait out the inevitable.

She passed away after a little and I still make jokes about Lee's deer huntin pistol.

Ya'll be good, the rut is getting started here and I hope to find a big un' before it's over!

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have a brace of the Uberti made Richards/Mason conversions made on the 1860 Army percussion frame. They are in .45 Colt and I think make great companion pieces to any of my Shilohs. Of course I do not consider the open top frame to be as strong as the closed top design, so I do not shoot full house loads in them.

But I really do like the looks of that converted percusion frame. It just appeals to me.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Conver ... chConv.htm
Lee Stone
kimwcook

Post by kimwcook »

Dozer hit on my second idea, a Ruger Old Army.
Old Law Dawg
Wildbear

Post by Wildbear »

Cimarron M1872 Open Top in 44 Colt. Lotsa "cool factor" in Open Tops and Richards-Masons both.

Wildbear.
Wildbear
"It ain't just what you do, but where you do it"
boondocker

Post by boondocker »

:oops: pardon this aside question, but when did canvas ammo belts come into the picture?
Jerry Crawford
Fort Collins CO
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

2-20-2008 end of an error
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Both the canvas prairie belts and the canvas Mills belts were in use from the early 1870's through the turn of the century. During the Spanish American War period the Mills belts were Navy blue in colour. Prior to that they were tan canvas as were the prairie belts.
Lee Stone
boondocker

Post by boondocker »

So both canvas and leather were contemporary with the 1874 Shiloh. That's good to know considering the difference in cost. Thank you
Jerry Crawford
Fort Collins CO
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

2-20-2008 end of an error
Buffalo Bob

Post by Buffalo Bob »

Hip: Colt Model P-1874, aka Single Action Army .45 Revolver, 7.5-in. barrel (2nd Generation)

Shoulder: Glock Model 23, .40, 4-in. barrel (shoots the same ammo used by the underpaid enemy, in case I must rely on the black market)

If I expect trouble and can't avoid it: Springfield Armory U.S. Rifle 7.62-mm. M1A (pistols are not for when you expect trouble)
Marshal Deadwood

Correct

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

Lee is correct. Canvas belts were available to the era of the Sharps and the buffalo hunts. I 'might' have a period photo showing two plainsmen/buffalo hunters, one of whom looks to be fitted with a canvas shell belt. I will go browse my photos and see what I can come up with.

MD
JerryWilliams

Post by JerryWilliams »

I too have a about a dozen Colt SAA and clones, but like Lee Stone, I can imagine those old "runners" totting around an open top just in case one or more of the local horse solders got to close to debate hunting rights.
0ne shot, One Hit.
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

Buffalo Bob wrote:Shoulder: Glock Model 23, .40, 4-in. barrel (shoots the same ammo used by the underpaid enemy, in case I must rely on the black market)
And who do you apply that tag to...?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...