Quality sidearm companion for my Shiloh

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marshal Deadwood

Jerry

Post by Marshal Deadwood »

At the second battle of Adobe Walls, the one Billy Dixon made the famous shot with his Sharps, sidearms were attributed to the hunters not being over-run with the initial attack from 500 'Cheyene' warriors. Evidence suggest that revolvers and other long arms, in various calibres, with the .44's (of various guns) being most predominate, being the reason Adobe Walls survived.

While the Sharps is 'the rifle' , in a 'close firefight' there were... well,,,faster choices.

The Billy Dixon shot sure did put a 'hesitation' in the Indians mind though,,,,

MD
Kylek

Quality Sidearm Companion for my Shiloh

Post by Kylek »

Cimarron 1851 Richards Mason Conversion w/a 7 1/2 inch barrel or a 3rd generation Colt SAA w/a 5 1/2 inch barrel in .45 Colt
"You might wanna try yer luck with that belly gun, but then again, you might not".
Bob C

Side arms

Post by Bob C »

I started off with the reproduction models from Italy, I have a Uberti Walker, 9" Barrel, 3rd Generation Dragoon, 7 1/2" Barrel. The Pietta's I have a 1851 US Marshall in 44, 5 1/2" barrel and a 12" barrel, a Remington 1858, a Colt 1860 Army, 8" Barrel and a 3" barrel. All of my guns are cap and ball. I can't afford the Shilo but I do have IAB 1863 Sharps. I shoot them all and have lots of fun with them. I just won't shoot them all on the same day, the cleaning would be a pain. :?

Bob C
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

USFA fine guns and built right

Just me and Big Nose Kate
Marshal Deadwood

Scott

Scott,,,after seeing your 'guns' photo, I am guilty of the sin of envy...or is it lust ! :shock:

Just joking...I appreciate the photo of your fine quality firearms , sir.

MD
GST

Post by GST »

Depening on my mood I carry either 2nd gen Colt 1860 Army from the 1970's or a USFA Prewar in .44 wcf with a 7 1/2" barrel with my Shiloh's. Remember that a pistol is only to be used to fight you way back to your rifle that you shouldn't have set down in the first place.

Scott
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Thanks MD,

The photo is slightly marred by the fact that I got a little blood on the mills belt a couple of weeks ago.

I shot this buck last year with my USFA gun. Dropped him right where he stood. I think it is a worthy companion to the Sharps. This was a limited run of guns for the Shootists that were case hardened by Turnbull. This one was stocked in one piece elephant ivory by Dustin Linebaugh.

Just me and Big Nose Kate
carl thomas zmuda

HANDGUN FOR WALKING

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

One of my favorite handguns while hiking in the woods or hunting is a Stainess Ruger Birdshead Vaquero in 45 Colt.

Its short barrel and round butt makes an ideal combination for carrying in a holster fastened to my web cartridge belt.

The round butt is also ideal for recoil absorption. My black powder loads are anemic when compared with my smokeless loads. I use 34 grains of black or 17 grains of 2400 behind a 300 grain round noze flat point.
Have a good day!
MRich

Post by MRich »

I think you have all missed one of the obvious revolvers.

1875 SCHOFIELD CAVALRY MODEL REVOLVER
Johnny B. Good

Post by Johnny B. Good »

There's just something about Cap n Ball revolvers :)

My Signature Colt Navy 51

boondocker

Post by boondocker »

JBG - is that a re-worked Buck knife? The shape of the handle and ground down blade look very familliar. :D
Jerry Crawford
Fort Collins CO
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

2-20-2008 end of an error
Johnny B. Good

Post by Johnny B. Good »

boondocker, it's a Puma folder :)

Have to admit to a soft spot for old S&Ws too :wink:

Marshal Deadwood

Bill Cody sidearm

http://boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?a ... =mwclemons

A Colt revolver presented to Bill Cody by an admirer.

MD
tomclink

Post by tomclink »

2nd Generation, 1st model Colt Dragoon. Gun groups nicely, but well above point of aim. (Aim at the belt buckle! Hit the chest!) However, I use mine mostly for War of Southern Independence reenacting so lots of blanks fired.
UNRECONSTRUCTED
Peep Sight

Post by Peep Sight »

I too have been looking for a companion for my sharps when I get it. It will either be a 2nd model dragoon or an 1858 Remington conversion.

Freedom Arms revolvers, they are so choice. My brother has one, I would like to.
M.R.R. 45-70 32"
M.R.R. 45-110 32"
"This is my boomstick!" Bruce Campbell
"If this be treason, let us make the most of it! " Patrick Henry