AZ Paperpatch match

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Rix

AZ Paperpatch match

Post by Michael Rix »

Hey Steve,
Are we ready for this paperpatch fest.
I wonder how many will be shooting them this year?
What are you shooting?
Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Dan,
Don't know where you got that info. It's all lies!!
Actually I was a little light on the "sauce" for my patches and the wind was blowing like mad with gusts 15-20. After I added more fluid to the patches everything settled down and shot like a champ.
My load shot 9 minutes lower at 500m than my 40-65. The money bullet seems to really work good.
Other than the fact it took me all day to load 60 rds for the match I don't know what all the fuss is about. Paper patching is a piece of cake if you have the right stuff.
I'll do some testing through the chrono but I'm going fo it at the "CUP" and with a 45-70!!
Mike,
We need to touch base soon on the match details. I'm trying to finish all my gun work and I have a race next week but plan on a full court press after that.
Steve R
AZ.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Steve,
I expect we are going to have a good PP bullet turnout for the Cup.
I have the entire prize gathering complete but still need to finish putting together the cup awards. I think I am going to find the largest cup I have and stick it on the High Paper-patch Score award, just because of the extra work and dedication that goes into the shooting those little stinkers.

You aren't kidding it takes all day to make 60 rounds. I can pan lube a GG bullet in no time! I think the payoff with PP will be the fact you have ZIP for leading even in hot weather. Assuming you have you system down.

Dan,
I have not even started on the alloy hardness testing. Life is getting in the way. I am thinking a double blind test in AZ with some kind of Stout Beer on the side. “Envelopes Please”

Michael Rix
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Dan,
Jim D showed me targets made with his 45-70 PP.

I want one for sumer silhouette.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Dan,
I'm shooting my old 45-70 Shiloh with a throated chamber!!
For the silhouette I shot 77 grs. of 1 1/2 Swiss-CCI BR-2s-.060 Walters wad compressed down .300 in the case w/the bullet dropped into the case then sized with a .470 bushing to the top of the wad.
One wet (wetter) patch and one dry patch.
Will test for the "CUP" with 84 grs. of 2F Swiss and the bullet seated .125 into the case.
To much work to shoot silhouette but real promising for the long range stuff where we have time to keep the bore clean.
When you foul w/ paper patched bullets the fouling is really "ironed" into the bore and a bitch to get it out especially during a silhouette relay!!
Even with all the problems and not having sight settings I was able to get 5 shots off in time so shooting silhouette is possible even with running three patches.

Mike,
Sounds like you have everything handled for the match.
I'm going to try to make 28 new targets, for both matches so we don't have to reface them after the "CUP" Also will make trophies like last year and will have daily award certificates for the "CUP" and the "CREEDMOOR"
Also have $500 divided up to the top three aggrate shooters from both the "CUP" and the "CREEDMOOR". Nothing like cash to get everyones interest. I was hoping maybe Mr. Garbe would be tempted to try his hand at some long range stuff when there was some "Green" involved.
We'll even let him shoot off-hand if it makes him feel better!!!
(Steve if you are out there there is still time to enter.)
Steve R.
AZ.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I will be there with bells on.
Shooting the old 45-110 and .451 patched Bullets.

same load as Raton.
:shock:

Dast Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

" same load as Raton. "
And I know that load shoots!.......WELL!

I have an Express powder Question for you. I'll send an email.

Michael Rix
Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson »

You guys need to be on the lookout for Bullseye Bob! He is a true believer! He was deadly at Lodi with his PP bullets. He is very hungry after long winter! Ray
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Bells ON :shock:

WHAT, you one of Santa's raindeer now, Kenney :wink: :lol:

No, I'm sorry, your annoucing the tooth fairy of your coming :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.
Michael Rix

Post by Michael Rix »

Raymond,
You are correct about Bob. He is stelth. Never see him coming. And when he gets on a roll he really can put them in the middle.

Are you going to make to the match and defend your standing?

Michael Rix
Kenny Wasserburger

Bells, Kelley??

God you just never know. :shock:

Better too of said I will be there with my game face? LOL

Anyways I am going to be there to shoot and have a darn good time. As usual! :wink:

The Lunger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Dam, Kenny,

You have a game face too :shock: :lol: :lol: Shoot ,an all this time I thought you had a happy face, Grandpa :wink:

See you in Phoenix. Bryany's buying the first one :D

Kelley O.
Kenny Wasserburger

Yes I did see that Bryan is going to get out some of his moldy old money for a the first Round, I love the Heffenwizen at Hooters. :shock:

Actually after we get back from Phoenix the infamous Wyoming Trio are heading for Big Timber to pick up 3 25 lb bull barrel rifles. Bryan has seen the error of his ways and has Ordered a KW tight Chamber 45-110 aka 2-7/8ths Sharps, as myself and Kirk built one for him self, Krik and I both are rather partial to that old chamber. Jimbo is deleving into the 45-100 PP chamber of Dan's cut from that original Borchardt.

These 4 rifles should be quite interesting to see.

It will be good to see you Kelley, Dan T, Liege, Rick M, and all of our other friends, Steve R. and Mike Rix, Jim Dorell, Herr Kidwell, and quite a few others. I am sure that we will have a few prayer meetings in the evenings :roll:

Grandpa Kenny

The Lunger

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Hi Dan,

Next month is one year, can you believe that :?: Hey all, can you believe a bachlor like Dan liking to hold babys, he was really good at it. Granddaughter is getting cutier every day, getting big too.

Grandpa Kelley O.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Kelly,
Did Dan offer an analytical solution for changing a wet diaper?
A thread like that could last for a couple of weeks with Dan doing extensive testing on the most absorbant materials for the use and the best moisture resistant lube to isolate the babies bottom from the wet material.
How about it Dan??
Steve R.
AZ.