Blackpowder Swan

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ridgerun

Blackpowder Swan

Post by ridgerun »

Not exactly a rifle post, but thought you might be interested in an old black powder shotgun tale. I purchased a Parker 12 gauge hammer gun with twist (damascus) barrels last year. The gun was make in 1883. I was lucky to draw a swan tag this year, and thus started the search for a load that could be used on Swans. The main problem was finding non-toxic shot that was compatible with the twist steel in the barrels. I finally found two - bismuth and Nice Shot. I was able to get bismuth in #5's for ducks, and #2 Nice Shot for geese/swans. I loaded 1 1/4 ounce of Nice Shot ahead of 3 1/2 drams of 3F swiss black powder in paper hulls that were roll crimped. This load patterned 80% in a 30 inch circle at 30 yards. If you think lead is expensive, the Nice Shot cost $70.00 for 2.2 pounds, or $2.00 an ounce. I waited for the right shot and you can see the result. It was a great adventure for me and the old gun. I doubt it has seen many swans in its 126 years.

[/img]Image
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hunting and harvesting a swan is a very special hunt and you contrived to make it even more Special. Great photos for your memories too. I hope you had a good cigar and bottle of brandy waiting for you afterwards. Like to hear how you prepared it and how it was on the table. Damn I'll bet ole Brent D will turn green with envy after reading your post :lol: . What a great day for you ridgerun! bobw
Brent

Post by Brent »

Sweet!

I usually use bp cartridge shotguns (originals) as well. I cheated this opener and took the Merkel (hammerless) and smokeless loads. But it is great fun to knockdown birds with bp. A swan is just amazing! Must have been a hell of a whump when he hit!

Will be trying for tiny mallards, Giant Canadas, and pheasants next weekend.

NICE!
Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Brent

Post by Brent »

say, what was your load stack like? I'm loading #5 Bi right now. I would like to take some plastic shot cups, and saw off the cushion part and use just the cup on top of a fiber wad set up. Have you tried anything like that?

I can 't find the darn plastic wads, so it looks like I'll be using just a paper wrap around the inside of the hull and normal paper powder and cushion wads.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Congratulations on a great hunt. The background of Sawtooth and Castle Reef really adds to the picture. Did you get any shots at the Snow's?
Dan
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

The load was used with just an overpowder wad and then a fiber wad. I tried some practice loads with #5 lead with a plastic wad cut off at the bottom to remove the wad portion, and they did not pattern as tight as the load with no shotcup, nor did it appear that the pattern was as uniform. My shotgun has some pitting, so that may be a factor in load performance.

I have not gotten a shot at a snow goose - will keep trying, but they fly much higher than the swans - just have to wait for the right shot. At about $2.50 a shot for the Nice Shot, one doesn't take risky shots, plus I just hate to wound anythinb. I have taken quite a few ducks with the #5 Bismuth load - it kills well.
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Just out of curiosity - what does one do with a dead swan? Stuff him? Eat him? Or, donate to the museum of soon to be exterminated wildlife.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Bill,
Swans are doing pretty well in most places and can easily stand hunting seasons in those instances.
dalejw

Post by dalejw »

Ya Brent it doesnt seem ol bill quite grasps the concept of management
Brent

Post by Brent »

Lots of folks don't grasp the meaning of management. He ain't alone in that one. But some swans are doing well. What Bill might be most confused about is the difference between trumpter, tundra and mute swans. One is very rare (in most areas), one is pretty common and huntable, and the last is an introduced pest.

Not all swans are created equal.

However, in my area, all swans are off limits, so it doesn't much matter which kind land in the dekes this weekend. They are all safe from me.

Brent
ridgerun

Post by ridgerun »

This is a tundra swan. they are doing very well. Trumpeter swans are the swans of concern. They migrate at the same time as Tundras, but they can be told apart by their call pretty easily. Numerous states have seasons on tundra swans, and they all fall under the management of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. This is probably the only swan I will ever shoot, and it became a quest for me and the Parker shotgun. I offer no apologies.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I sure saw a gaggle of Trumpeter's on this side of Tok this year while coming back from the 40 mile country. I'm sure there were well over a hundred in several lakes along side the highway.
We had quite a few in Potter march south of town as well this summer.
One bird, down on the Keni , in the Swanson lake system was captured with an arrow through it's neck. It was captured, treated and released to fly south but wasn't strong enough to make the trip so they recaptured it and are going to release it again in the spring.
Yup, it is about management and not emotion and yet I could kill a wolf or bear without a qualm but a Swan would be tough for me, go figure!
I bet it will eat just fine!
Sure like the photos and shot gun. I once had a hammered Greener with damascus barrels in my shop to work on. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Are there any physical differences? I don't know much about them but the trumpeters I have been close to look bigger in body than the Tundra in your picture and the head seemed a bit different shape.
Same black feet though if I remember correctly. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Didn't even know there was a swan season; never met anyone who ever shot one. I don't think I'd have trouble shooting one if they are so common in some areas - I'd just pretend like it was a goose. Eating one, however, seems agin' the grain. Just like canids. No problem shooting any of them I didn't have a personal relationship with, but wouldn't eat one.
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

ridgerun

Got any close ups of that Parker? It sure looks like a nice shotgun, pretty heavy too I'll warrant. :)
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!