IAB Sharps 1859 loading question

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
David LaPell

IAB Sharps 1859 loading question

Post by David LaPell »

I posted this also in the blackpowder section, but I also thought I would try this one too, I just got my first Sharps .54, a IAB 1859 Business rifle. I have seen a few articles on the loading of the paper cartridges, the question I have, is the bullet separate from the paper cartridge? I have seen where some load the cartridge as just powder wrapped on both ends in paper and the bullet placed in first to engage the rifling.
Anyone else have one of these IAB's that could tell me what the best loading info for this gun is, I got it used (never been fired) but it has no manual.
MissedAgain

Post by MissedAgain »

This might help you some. It's a different company, but the rifles are pretty much the same. Try scrolling down this forum. There is lots of good info here.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/pdf/ ... Sharps.pdf

Even though it says 1874, it also covers the percussion Sharps.
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

as stated there is alot out there to read. with that said. to get started. find the bullet you want to shoot. put it in take a measurement the order some of charlie tubes. once you get going then get into rolling your own. I use charlies tubes for my team match shooting and my own rolled for practice and individules.
Standing on the ROCK
14th VA. Cav.
N-SSA
klw

Post by klw »

MissedAgain wrote:This might help you some. It's a different company, but the rifles are pretty much the same. Try scrolling down this forum. There is lots of good info here.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/pdf/ ... Sharps.pdf

Even though it says 1874, it also covers the percussion Sharps.
That was interesting. How effective is the gas check plate in this brand of rifle?
WV SCROUNGER

Post by WV SCROUNGER »

the gas plate is quite effective and will last quite awhile if you do your part and keep it clean and lubricated with automotive antiseize grease....
klw

Thanks!

Post by klw »

I appreciate the input.