Value of compressing

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

That is without a doubt the best post on load testing and compression I've seen!! I certainly cannot add to it, but I would just suggest to PT2317 to try to be very very consistant and SLOW when you are pouring the powder down the drop tube. I've measured a lot of mine right after pouring and the height of the powder will vary quiet a bit if you are not real consistant with the speed of pouring. And on mine it settles lower in the case if I pour it right down the middle of the funnel which would also be right down the middle of the tube. Thanks again Gunny, I'm going to print that one and hang it on my loading bench!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Gunny, Kenny, MLV, should the powder be compressed before the wad is put in the case, or after the powder is compressed. Does it make a difference? Randy
Randy Ruwe
MLV

Post by MLV »

I can't help you very much with that one as I shoot Swiss powder and therefore either don't compress it or compress it just about .100 inch, which I do when the bullet is seated. As as Gunny says I let my rifles tell me that judging by the bullet holes in the paper.

PS: Hey Gunny; you bit any more rattlesnakes?
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Gunny,

I told you you should write a book, you know what I mean :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Omaha, use the wad to compress. Thanks Kirk

P.S. Just wanted you to get the answer before the thread gets side tracked!!
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

I've shot black powder for many years but never black powder cartridge. When the powder is compressed is there a special die used or does the bullet do the compressing? What is the purpose of the compression? Can anyone refer me to detailed literature for black powder cartridge reloading?
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Jim: try this link to a general primer written by a very experienced & successful BR Shooter.

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=40- ... oading.pdf

Or you could log on

www.blackpowderspg.com/products_body.html

Then click on @ “products” & order the “SPG Black Powder Reloading Primer”

Don’t use the bullet to compress the powder, you’ll deform it &/or “bump it up” to a larger diameter.

Rule of Thumb: compression is a vital step as to allow more powder into the case & by compacting/compressing it, a cleaner burn results.

You can buy a special die from Buffalo Arms, or if you know someone w/ a lathe, a brass compression plug can be turned to fit the case expanding die. You could also haunt the gun show dealers’ “junk boxes” in hopes of finding a case expanding die, & then have the brass plug fit to that die. This way you don’t need to change between the expander & compression plugs.

I've also seen some Shooters use a steel dowel in a drill press to compress the powder by lowering the quill.

www.buffaloarms.com
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Thanks, Ray.
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Hi Kenny,

You are right, great post, and if Gunny keeps it up, he can be as long winded as you! :lol:
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Hey back Harlin,

Yup Gunny is ALL most as long winded as I am. Why do you think I call him Big Brother?

Kenny Wasserburger

IF you dont make the Grudge match your missing the best one of the YEAR!
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Harlan,

Well you see Kenny and myself actually have something to say. Some may find us long winded, but maybe they are to busy with there commercial indeavers to actually read an interesting post that doesn't have anything to do with selling something.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

NO OFFENSE INTENDED.....
I was once told that I was long winded and reminded them of an attorney, that the only way I could say less was to talk longer.

Trigger Dr

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
MBW

compression

Post by MBW »

Gunny, thank you for your post. Imformative and very well written. And congrats on making Master. I too have found this compression thing to be not a science in that a certain formula can be applied to all situations...conditions and loads and guns. But one thing is clear, black powder is very consistent and the bench rest crowd would give an arm to have the standard deviations of our good loads. Smokeless powder can't match it. One more thing that I may add is that on compression, not all the powder is crushed in the case. In fact, a lot of it remains intact, just much more compacted. As Lee made the great point and distinction between compression and compacting. Oh, and one more point...my good friend who shoots all year long on a range in Connecticut, found that loads developed in the cold shot very different when the temps reached more sane levels. So this is just another variable to consider. Keeps us out of trouble and having fun as the quest never ends.
PS... I liked the ending quote of your last post and I agree...much to the dismay of my Mom...
NRA Life
CRPA Life