bpcr shooter's are rare

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Like I said the two of you only read what you wish to read out of any post, and respond subjectively to that. I am done with this one except to say to you both: Start at the beginning of the post and read forward. I responded to another person's post. and simply expressed an agreeing opinion. You, however said that we, (I) was whinning and complaining without doing anything. You don't even know me or what I have done in my life, but you are capable of judging.

This is my last post on this topic. I don't know what either of your accommplishments are, but I know that Kelley has already said on another post that he could beat all the shooters that I said had showed me so much at Kenny Wasserburgers last shoot. I wasn't trying to show how good they were, just how much they had taught me, but he wanted everyone to know how great he was. As far as I am concerned you are trying to do the same.

I don't think either of you are very great, just angry about not being more recognized or acknowedged. So long for now, Randy

PS, I tried your web-site, it doesn't work. How about posting the correct address? I am sure you will both try to read a lot into this post that isn't there, but you have done that all along. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Omaha Poke: what ever happened to the silhouette program @ Upper Nisqually Range in Eatonville?

Did it ever get off of the ground??

Per the web site, it appears that they are in need of someone to run the program??

Do you know what's going on over there?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ray, I know that I said I was done on this post buy I think that you deserve an answer. No I do not know what is going on at Eatonville. A couple of people were checking into it and I have not heard the results from their inquiries as yet.

They know the range and the people in charge, and I was waiting to hear from them. When I do, I will let you know what the result of their efforts were. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omak Cowboy

ranges in south Seattle

Post by Omak Cowboy »

I"ve not been out to Ravensdale for about 3 years. I understand the old range is closed down. We had 500 yds there and the new "Shooting Park" was supposed to have 200, 300, 400, 500 and I thought a 600 and 1000 yd range too. I don't know if there was going to be 800 and 900 yds too but it was my understanding that the 1000 yd was going to be separate from the DCM course of 200 - 600 yd ranges.

Anyone know what happened out there?

I have shot at 600 yds at the range just off the south end of the Narrows Bridge. I had heard that range was going to be closed but don't know about that either. If anyone knows Russ Haydon I'm sure he would know about the Narrows range as he and I shot there.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

looks like the Cascade Rifle & Pistol Club @ Ravensdale, WA is still in buisness, despite construction. Looks like that they'll have @ least a 600 yd line....

http://www.cascaderifleandpistol.org/index.htm
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

HUMMMMMMMMMM,

Looks like a lot of places to shoot in Washington St., one poster even posted a State Championship to be run and if my poor memory is correct another washinton guy posted a bunch of places to shoot.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
pete

Post by pete »

Omaha Poke; Thanks I appreciate it. Yeah, I'd like to get up to Washington sometime. I lived in the Tacoma area from 1968-1970 when my dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis. It was pretty and it would be fun to see it again.
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

ok guys--here isd the deal on the range at Upper Nisqually--I go to the board meeting in Nov(1st Mon) and we will get all the details worked out to present to the club a the meeting--I have the prices for the sillouhettes(?) and will keep it all posted here as things progress--I hope to be shooting there in the next few months -- Sorry that I haven't kept you guys more informed but not much has changed over the past couple of months---
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

I think this topic started out as "why the bpcr shooters are rare/unique...or something." I have grown up around guns my whole life, but only until this past year did I realize you could load blackpowder into a cartridge (sidenote: the 30-30, did it start out as a bp cartridge and can I still load it that way and shoot it in my Winchester?) Furthermore, these guns are not cheap; I have a Browning A-Bolt I thought was an expensive gun until I started pricing bpcr's. Honestly, I have never even seen a real bpcr, much less enjoyed the simple pleasures all of you mention. (I do plan to order a Shiloh as soon as my wife and I get our credit cards payed off and make sure we're pretty financially secure.) I have only read about them recently. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that ignorance on the part of the gun shooting populace is the reason for there not being as many shooters as other shooting sports. That and the cost. I could have 2 A-Bolts for the price of 1 Shiloh. Granted, I know they're worth the money, but the simple start-up cost is more than I make in a month. Anyway, as someone who has not yet gotten into the sport, maybe what I've said might be worth something.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

MudChild,

I'm kind of in the same place you are. I'm at the "studying" stage, so I can be certain I design something that will suit me. I simply hate buying something only to figure out it should have, or have not, a design feature.

I am also checking out some local ranges that shoot BP so that I get an idea of the differences in the calibers and loads.

Gunny made me a nice offer to come and check out the matches at Avenal and I'm also going to go to Ojai.

You might want to put up a new topic stating your location and desire to find matches. My guess is a bunch of guys will let you go to matches and even let you blow off a round or two.

I think it is a good way to start learning.

Hal
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Canoe 112,

Ojai wouldn't be a good choice, there just isn't that many BPCR shooters who go there. Avenal and Sacramento would be the best place's. Many of the guys will even let you shoot their rifles if asked. If I knew when you we're going I could be there, Avenal, and you could shoot one of my rifles.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Kelley,

Thanks for input, you're probably right. I'm in Santa Barbara - Ojai is 45 minutes away.

Less time then if I drive to Winchester Gun Club the local range for Santa Barbara.

And, lastly Ojai offers something none of you folks can. My youngest Daughter lives there and she is interested in observing the match as well.

I know that if I get into BPCR I'm in for some serious travelling. Especially if I get into Long Range which seems to be where my interest lies. At least at this time.

Thanks for the offer Kelley. I hope to see you at Avenal in the future. I'll try to remember to advise you before I go.

Regards,

Hal
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Canoe45110,

Do you happen to know Chuck Brockway? If you do he's the one to talk to in your area as he lives in Santa Brabara and I belive he shoots at Winchester Gun Club to test his loads. Chuck shoots Silhouette, long range and buffalo matchs and is real good and a nice guy. Gunny also knows him.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Kelley,

Thanks a bunch for that information.

I find Brockway. I can find anybody.

Thanks,

Hal
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Hal,

By all means you should check out Ojai, there is a problem there though. They do not have a regular BPCR Silhouette match there. What they do have is a regular monthly Silhouette match and the few BPCR guys shoot along side of the high power shooters, you no what that may not be a problem after all. There are differences in the two disiplines all shots in high power Silhouette are shot off hand, while us BPCR guys with our 12 lb rifles get to lay down most of the time, as you get a little farther into this sport you will find that laying down is good and getting back up is bad.

Gunny