Butt plate

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dozer

Butt plate

Post by dozer »

I'm looking at a used Shilo. It has the plastic butt plate and I would like to know if a steel plate can be purchased and installed? Are they "standard" enough for a good fit or will it need to be fitted?
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Hi Dozer

I have the metal buttplate(traditional) and the plastic buttplates on my Shiloh's. I can tell you right now that the metal buttplate would have to be fitted. The plastic buttplate is flat and the metal one has a slight curve along with an indentation at the top. I just did some measuring with my micrometer and there are some other problems. The plastic buttplate on my rifles are a little shorter and a little wider than the metal buttplate. It is the shorter part that would be a problem. Kirk would be the one to answer the best but I'am not sure it can be done do to the differences. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
dozer

Post by dozer »

Parley, Thanks for doing the measuring. That answers the question about just changing them.

I do have a milling machine and the thought of making one has crossed my mind. If I want steel, that may be what happens. It may take a few trys, but I think I can do it :wink: . I plan on refinishing the stock, so It would be a good time to fit it.
Doz
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I know you didn't ask, but in case you might be interested the plastic butt plates are period correct for an 1874. I like the steel better also, but the plastic was put on a lot of guns in the 1870's.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Dozer, I have had guys put these on later, they are a little smaller than the plastic, so you just have to work the wood down to the metal. If you do decide to do this, give me a call, and when you get it done I will case it for you. Thanks, Kirk
dozer

Post by dozer »

Kirk, Per our phone conversation, I decided to make one exactly the size of the hard rubber one on the rifle and match the screw holes. It has been polished and shipped to you for coloring.
Please note: I included a letter but the email address is wrong. It is cornaggia @ hscis.net
Thanks
Dozer
Frank

Post by Frank »

Dozer,
The checkering on the Traditional Steel Buttplate is a big help in keeping the rifle secure to your shoulder. I have all types smooth, plastic, rubber and leather. I by far like the checkerd the best of them all. The checkered one is almost a must with a repeating lever rifle.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
dozer

Post by dozer »

Frank, I decided to leave it smooth. It has a gentle curve and fits me almost perfectly. The original plate was almost flat, but my shoulder isn't. I tried it on the rifle and I don't think it will slip. I also think the curve will spread the recoil better. I'll know after a few hundred rounds. I can always cut in the checkering if needed. Now that I have made one, the second one with a change in design wouldn't be as much of a challenge :wink:
Doz
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Dozer, Just a thjought, How do you think the skeleton butt plate with checkering in the wood would look? Not period correct, but then atgain we arn't period correct either.
trigger dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
dozer

Post by dozer »

Trigger Dr, There's a second reason for the steel butt plate which I haven't mentioned. It will add about 14 oz of weight. It started life as a piece of 1/2" thick steel. The rifle is a tad light at 10.5 lbs and this with sights will get it near 12 lbs.
Doz
dozer

Post by dozer »

Thank you Kirk!!! The butt plate is already back and installed. Beautiful color on it :D There is a photo on the MS site.
Thanks again,
Dozer